Algae Issues Seemingly Resolved But Still Cloudy

Apr 3, 2015
Huntersville, NC
So about a week ago we had a green pool. Went to our local Leslie's and they confirmed we had algae due to our FC level being below 0 (long story!!) and thus they recommended green to clean amongst several other necessary chemicals. I found this website 24 hours into treatment and decided to start throwing some regular old bleach in there and it resolved our algae issues days ahead of Leslie's schedule. As such I've still been putting in bleach and the pool is now clear of all algae, but it's still just not sparkling/Crystal appearing. What am I doing wrong??? I've ordered the TFT-100 kit this am ? but haven't tested my pool since Leslie's did so Monday.

Before starting treatment my numbers were:
FC- 0
TC- 0
Salt- 1900
CH- 210
CYA- 60
TA- 70
pH- 7.6
Copper- 0
Iron- 0
Phosphates- 100

Welcome to the forum!

You still have algae in that pool. Have you read pool school about the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) and SLAMMing? If not, you should start there. I am certain that you need to add more bleach to your pool and keep the pump running. Backwash as needed. You also need to brush the sides and clean behind ladders, lights, inside the skimmer, etc. These are places where algae can hide.

However, those who can better speak to how much bleach you need to add and how to do it until the text kit arrives will be along shortly. If Leslie's is close, you may want to take a water sample there and at least get an idea of how much chlorine you have in the pool today.

Stand by for additional assistance:)

Welcome to TFP.

You've done the right thing by ordering the test kit.

Even though they say that your CYA is 60, there's no telling what it really is. However lets use that for the time being.
If it's convenient, take a sample back to the local pool store and have them check the FC now. (They most likely can't check higher than 10 (and maybe even 5)and it may bleach out if your FC is higher than that.) If the number they give you is zero, don't panic. Since you've been putting bleach in it just assume it's not zero.

Come back here and post what they tell you and we'll work through things until your kit gets there. If you were a little closer (and it wasn't Good Friday) I'd suggest you just drive over there and pick up the kit today. :/

If it's not convenient to take a sample to the pool store, then just add 2ppm FC each evening. That's about 3 quarts of 8.25% bleach in a pool the size of yours.

Welcome Jenners!

About doing something wrong, your moving in the right direction, but what stores and industry calls "shocking" really doesn't work as an event, or one time deal as they instruct you to do.

When a pool needs clearing of Algae as in your case it does need to be shocked, but for a sustained time, at a high free Chlorine level, until everything is killed.

We call this process a SLAM. It means Shock Level And Maintain. Again, You raise the FC high, and in proportion to your stabilizer (Cya) level and Keep it there.

You've taken the perfect correct step in ordering a kit, because it is essential to complete this process. Once you have it, we will get your correct readings, as those from the store may be close...or not. It's hit or miss with big and small stores alike in terms of accuracy. What's happening now is that you haven't killed everything and filtered it all out. That's why you are still cloudy, and you are still perhaps on the verge of going green again. You've done well ordering a kit, and you'll see that what we show you will work, and keep you out of trouble from now on.

Check out Pool School, and start with the ABCs. Work through it, Defeating Algae, and everything else as you can digest it. As questions here if you have them.

YAAAAY! Glad I'm on the right track. And am actually getting ready to take another sample in to Leslie's since it's literally down the road from me. I've been scrubbing sides/floor/etc luckily we have no ladder, we instead have the gunite steps and we've been scrubbing our lights. Pump has been running 24hrs a day since last week (out of winter habit) and I've backwashed twice =)

I also ordered DE to add just a tiny bit to my sand filter as previously read in another thread on this website! And my shipping confirmation for my test kit came not even two hours after ordering- so excited!

Will post my latest results after I get back!

Excellent! I would keep adding some Bleach as you have been. Might keep you out of deeper trouble. Don't add any "shocks" or products listed as "Dichlor/Trichlor" in the ingredients, since we aren't sure what your Cya/Stabilizer level is.

It may be interesting to see if they are consistent with any of the readings. I won't be surprised either way, you just never know.

Just got my water retested at Leslie's:
FC- 2ppm
TC- 2
Salt- 2500
CH- 210
TA- 80
pH- 7.2
Copper- 0
Iron- 0
Phosphates- 100

- - - Updated - - -

Of course they're recommending Pool First Aid to aid in clearing up my water... Should I skip it and just keep adding bleach? If so- how much? Sorry for all the questions!!!!

No problem. No to the pool first aid. Keep adding bleach and at least double the amount you have been until you get the kit.

Did they not re-run the Cya? Very curious, as this one varies a lot sometimes with store testing. Pretty consistent here minus the pH reading, and salt. One of them is wrong, but you are fine on those for now. Just keep up the FC additions with Bleach as I mentioned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are actually looking good. You can see the floor without too much effort and I don't see green.

The chlorine only KILLS the algae (and turns it white/grey). The filter is what cleans out the leaves and dead algae (cloudiness).

Keep filtering... keep testing... until you pass all three phases of an OCLT.. see the Pool School.

Ok, you are probably pretty close to 60. I'm hopeful of it anyway. How much bleach have you been putting in to get those FC readings of 2? I may or may not suggest another dose amount from my earlier suggestion.

I've been adding 3-4 bottles of 121oz of bleach. Just did the math with the pool calculator and I should be putting in at least 9 bottles. Since Tuesday I've added almost 15 total- clearly not enough. Looks like I'll be buying more bleach tomorrow am!!!!

Yes. You want to make sure you keep the FC up until all the algae is killed or it just keeps coming back.

With a CYA of 60 you should be aiming for FC of 24 and trying to maintain that level as best you can.

Once you pass an overnight chlorine loss test and pass you can bring the CYA up to normal for the SWCG.

25000 gallons of water, 9 bottles of bleach should give you an FC level of 29 and that's from 0 FC. You might be putting in a bit too much.
7.5 bottles of your bleach should get you to 24 but again that's coming from zero. Are you sure it's all getting used up day to day ?? With testing you'd know the FC you're starting out with and can just add the amount you need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.