Murphy came to swim at my place

techguy

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2010
Antelope, CA
OK, this is not really a question but I thought I should share in a place where everyone else understands.

I have been getting my pool up a running. I know it's Easter week but it was 80+ last week and things ( aka Murphy #1) were getting out of hand in my pool. I had some leaves in the pool and it had gotten green. (bad boy). So, this last weekend, using my manual vacuum and in-line leaf pre-filter, I removed my DE filter, added a bypass to get the water back into the pool and cleaned out the junk. I added a couple gallons of chlorine and set the pump the recirc the pool.

When the leaves were gone and pool a cloudy blue, I went to add my freshly cleaned Perflex back into the system. I got installed and plumbed, I added the DE via skimmer... and then Murphy #2 happened... The hose on the outlet of the filter is leaking, actually spraying, under full pressure from my pump. It's an abrasion caused leak and the hose is at least a season old. I don't want to leave it in place as I am afraid it could burst/split.

It's OK, I have a spare hose. I dig out the spare hose, add some hose clamps, and then Murphy#3 happens. The molding on the interior of hose it poorly formed and the hose will not go on the fitting. I get a knife and clean it up... it will work. I get it installed onto the pool return fitting on the wall of the pool and then Murphy#4, the fitting on the other end of the hose is misshapen and difficult to get onto the filter outlet. It requires two hose clamps... Murphy #5 for those keeping score... but it is working.

OK... i am good...right? Nope! #6, the NEW hose has a leak worse than the old hose, it's a fountain in relation. I am tired, muddy, frustrated... my LPS is closed while they vacation in Cancun and will not be back until next week, late. I taped the **** hose with e-tape and took my shower and poured a cold beverage.

Today, i looked for replacement hose locally, the website said go to this store... they have them in-stock. It's a large local hardware store and when i get there... no pool hoses in the store, no vacuum hoses, no cleaner hoses, not connection hoses... The two employee, on newer on older... no clue what pool hoses, point me to the hose rack in plumbing... we have this 1.5 inch clear vinyl hose by the foot... ARGHHHH. Their parting comment.. There's a Leslies down the street... My comment: No way, they don't get my money.

So, tomorrow I hope to get to the other real pool store in town and get a new hose.

I just had to share.

Nobody told us there would be days like these.. This is usually how my sprinkler repairs go. Last weekend, I had the wrong sprinkler part. I drove 20 minutes to the store. Spent 40 minutes sitting in traffic to come home. Jumped out of the car excited to be home and get the last piece attached. What happened? I take the part out of the bag and, it's the same part I already had. Yep, back to the store I went to spend $1.

Stopped by the other pool store, they had the cuffed hose I wanted, only $20. I will attempt to put it on the pool tonight but I have a Kings basketball game tonight and we are leaving for thing in the morning for the weekend.

I really would like to get the water filtering and chlorine moving around. I was soooo close to getting the water clean/clear.

OH NO! The SAME part?????????? That is something just like I have done in the past!

Kim

Yep, I got home feeling very proud of myself. I pulled it out of the bag and realized, I just bought the exact same part that I already had. It was wrong before I went and it is still wrong now. Back in the car...

Murphy visited me also. I guess I should start by confessing that we didn't winterize the pool this year. We were working really long hours in the fall and it just didn't happen. My hubby decided we would put the leaf cover on and circulate it during the winter. Everything was fine until the middle of February when the pump motor decided to lock up. It wasn't very cold, but snow was in the forecast for the next day. Oh, I forgot to mention we both had the "death flu" at that time with fevers around 103. I've never been so sick in my life. So... when I discovered the pump wasn't working I staggered out there and closed the shut off valves and drained the skimmer, strainer and cartridge filter housing. The low was only supposed to be 31 that night so I figured it would be fine. I was WRONG! The shut off valve broke and allowed water to flow back into the whole system. Everything, and I mean literally everything froze and busted. The weatherman was wrong. It got a lot colder than they said it would.

Three weeks ago I ordered all new equipment online. When we opened the box we discovered they sent us the wrong stuff, entirely different that what we paid for. We are still waiting on them to correct it. In the meantime our pool has turned into a greenish black swamp. The only good thing is I that used Paypal for my payment. I should be able to get my money back if becomes necessary.

I will never fail to winterize again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Samantha! OH NO! Welllllllllllllll at least you KNOW how to fix it.

okay so do you have enough regents to do a green to clean SLAM? If not go ahead and order them and start stocking up on bleach.

I will TRY to keep Murphy over for a while as you have had your share for sure! That flu was NASTY!

Kim

I have to say I do appreciate you taking so many hits for the team. I'm hoping Murphy is so tired from swimming at your pool I don't have to host him ;-)

He always seems to find the "Red Green" in everything I do.

Got a heck of a laugh out of this layout and thought I'd share.

Attachments

• c3605ab75b5d88af9745788d6e55f21a.jpg
    c3605ab75b5d88af9745788d6e55f21a.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 348
I photo shopped it. I have no clue and was laughing my but off. I imagine if you can't dump, flush, fill, filter, spray, transfer or bypass a heater with that setup, it just can't be done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.