Not the slightest clue

Apr 3, 2015
Visalia CA
I just bought a house with a pool and really don't have the slightest clue on how to do this whole pool thing. I'm sure I'm not giving enough information but im not even sure what to give. I'm curious if I should have someone come show me how all the stuff works, pump, filter, timer(?)(if that's what it even is for the filter, no idea how to even reset it or reprogram). Not sure if I should go BBB which I've seen on here as I would love to save money. Let me know what info I need to give you guys and pictures that may help.

Thanks

Edit: what do I need to have stocked at my house? I'm going to order some stuff on Amazon and would like to know all chemicals I need.

Welcome to TFP.

You can start by reading the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry in Pool School. It's the button top right of every page. There are many other helpful links that you should read over a cuppa coffee.

Also, we would like to know what kind of pool you have, in ground or above ground? Vinyl, fiberglass or plastered/pebbles? What size is it? What kind of filter do you have? Don't know? Post pics and we can help you!

Oh we so got this for you!

Here is the first link for you to read and do:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

Here is your second link:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

The abc link is SO important BUT it can be overwhelming. Take it a chunk at a time. This is something you will read and reread.

Here is your third link:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/131-basic-pool-care-schedule

To do this link you will need your own test kit. Look below in my siggy for the link to the test kits that we use.

PLEASE do NOT take your water to the pool store to be tested for "free". Is it really free if they have you buying all kinds of stuff your pool does not need?

Your shopping will be done at walmart! I am kind of kidding. You can buy what you need at Walmart but you might even be able to get it cheaper somewhere else.

What I would like you to do is look at your local area. Do you have a pool store the would be convenient to get chlorine at? What about an ACE Hardware? These places have 11% chlorine you can get "renting" their jugs. This is just about the only thing you will ever buy from a pool store.

IF you do not have a convenient pool store for the chlorine you can use plain, store brand bleach. It needs to come from a high volume store as it can lose some power with sitting.

Let us know when you order your test kit.

Kim

Hi Jfeldman,
Welcome to TFP!

You dont need to order anything from amazon. For sure you will need to have some bleach and 31% muriatic acid. Both available at Supermarket, Big Box store or local hardware store.

- Bleach contains chlorine, which is what you need to prevent algae and kill pathogens. Get a few gallons
- Muriatic Acid lowers the Ph of the water. There is a range where the Ph needs to be, too high or low out of this range is not good, so you must be able to test for it. Get 1 gallon Ph has a natural tendency to rise.

Depending on water test results you might need Sodium Bicarbonate and some CYA.
- Sodium bicarbonate which helps raise the Total Alakalinity of the water. Baking Soda is sodium bicarbonate
- Stabilizer, a.k.a. conditioner, a.k.a. Cyanuric Acid (CYA). its available at Walmart or amazon.

No. 1. Rule - you cannot know what to add to the pool, unless you have reliable test result. You need your own test kit if you are going to maintain your pool. The two preferred ones are available at this link. The TF100 is the best bang for the buck. www.tftestkits.net

Note- Pool Store testing is usually just plain wrong. So is their adivce to add all sorts of expensive stuff to the pool thats not needed to keep your pool sparkly and clean.

If your pool equipment has ID tags on them or manufacturer lables, write those down and take pics and post them here and we can help you with it.

Mechanically speaking (not chemistry) I found it useful to hire a pool builder/repair tech guy to show me how everything worked when we took over our new-to-me pool. I made him watch me backwash, clean out the pump filter, open and close the drain and skimmer valves, turn the heater on and off etc. It sounds silly, but it helped me feel much more confident managing the pool to understand how everything worked. It was a cheap, quick thing to do, and by physically doing each thing while he was present helped my firmly remember what's what.

Just don't let a pool tech near the chemistry, generally speaking. Their notions are based on a once-a-week trip and are not generally compatible with the vastly superior TFP method that makes for better water and long-term hassle-free maintenance but that require a tiny bit of honeowner oversight/participation. Follow TFP to a T and you'll be golden.

Congrats on your new pool -- I mean, home ;)

Who is in charge of taking care of the pool right now?

Find out how the chlorine is being added to the pool and let us know. If there is a salt water chlorine generator, SWG, working then the pool might be in good shape when you move in on the 15th. If not, then you need to find a way to add chlorine until then to prevent the pool from turning into a swamp.

Thanks for the info so far, I'm currently at the rental since we have until the 15th to move. I may pay someone to show me how my stuff works and tell me what each thing is and does.

Welcome the forum!

That isn't a bad idea if you don't know anyone who might come over and help. We can walk you through some of that, but it will obviously be a little slower process.

Let us know when you are ready, and we can help you any way we can. Be prepared for negative feedback if you tell Pool Guys or whomever "hey I read on this website, they use bleach and test their own water etc." Don't worry about any of that if you do, as much of what they will say doesn't work, is proven wrong thousands of times over on the forum, year after year. Check out pool School as mentioned, and there are some pictures of things to view regarding tools and equipment names etc. If you have some questions, come back and ask. We are relentless in helping anyone who's interested in learning. We'll stick with you and help however we can. Good luck, and keep us updated. Enjoy the forums!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you know how many gallons the pool is? If not tell us the approximate size and we can tell you how much chlorine to put in to begin with. It will be a rough guess but hopefully it will not turn green on you. Without chlorine in the pool it can turn green very fast, as in a day if conditions are right.

There are a couple chlorine tablets in the floater at the moment, will this be a problem? Should I test it before, or is this basically shocking it since I won't be using it for a few days still? Recommended place for cheapest yet good bleach?

Any store brand that it 8.25% is perfect. If it doesn't list the percent strength, move on to one that does. It will be easy to find at any sizeable store that has bleach. The more volume turnover the better. This ensures freshness of the bleach. It weakens over time, but it will be fine anywhere that moves any reasonable amount.

Would somebody be Abe to simplify this as easy as possible.

An example of what im looking for is what the BBB product does compared to the differently named pool product.

My understanding is you need less chemical doing BBB and it's easier to balance than what pool stores would have you believe.

Since I'm going to the store to get bleach should I just pick up the other things I may need? And what would those be :) the abc's feels over my head. Or would I be better off doing it the pool store way as a beginner?

Would somebody be Abe to simplify this as easy as possible.

An example of what im looking for is what the BBB product does compared to the differently named pool product.

My understanding is you need less chemical doing BBB and it's easier to balance than what pool stores would have you believe.

Since I'm going to the store to get bleach should I just pick up the other things I may need? And what would those be :) the abc's feels over my head. Or would I be better off doing it the pool store way as a beginner?

Divin Dave has provided the information that you are asking for (I copied it below):

Hi Jfeldman,
Welcome to TFP!

You dont need to order anything from amazon. For sure you will need to have some bleach and 31% muriatic acid. Both available at Supermarket, Big Box store or local hardware store.

- Bleach contains chlorine, which is what you need to prevent algae and kill pathogens. Get a few gallons
- Muriatic Acid lowers the Ph of the water. There is a range where the Ph needs to be, too high or low out of this range is not good, so you must be able to test for it. Get 1 gallon Ph has a natural tendency to rise.

Depending on water test results you might need Sodium Bicarbonate and some CYA.
- Sodium bicarbonate which helps raise the Total Alakalinity of the water. Baking Soda is sodium bicarbonate
- Stabilizer, a.k.a. conditioner, a.k.a. Cyanuric Acid (CYA). its available at Walmart or amazon.

No. 1. Rule - you cannot know what to add to the pool, unless you have reliable test result. You need your own test kit if you are going to maintain your pool. The two preferred ones are available at this link. The TF100 is the best bang for the buck. www.tftestkits.net

Note- Pool Store testing is usually just plain wrong. So is their adivce to add all sorts of expensive stuff to the pool thats not needed to keep your pool sparkly and clean.

If your pool equipment has ID tags on them or manufacturer lables, write those down and take pics and post them here and we can help you with it.

No, when you got to the store, just focus on bleach for today.

As a way to limp along, knowing what I know now after 5 years of learning the Trouble Free methods

1. Order your TF-100 test kit online, it's not cheap but it least for years, can be used daily, and it's less expensive than most single trips to LPS (i know you can get other kits but this is the best value). Pool Supply World, near Sacramento may have it in stock and its only one day via UPS or order from TFT (free shipping this week, IIRC)
2. Fill in you signature files with pool and pump/filter details... or post photos and we will help determine what you have.
3. read Pool School
3. Buy 4 gallons of bleach (Walmart's Great Value or the HTH in the garden section are my go to brands)
4. Turn on the pump and add 1 gallon of bleach to the pool, let the pump run for an hour.
5. add 1/2 gallon each day until you get your test kit. Read Pool School again until you understand it.
6. repeat step 5 until you get your test kit
7. When you get your kit, test, post your results her and either use the Pool math section or wait for help to determine what you need.
8. Go to store and get what you need based on your test results
9. Add the chems based on the instruction in Pool School
10. test again
11. repeat steps 7-10. You will soon learn what you will need to keep on hand and what you can buy as needed.

I know for my pool, a sunny central California pool:
I use bleach daily
MA about once a month
CYA once a season
borax once a season

Powder shock, never
Chlorine pucks in a floater, during vacations

Hello and welcome!

You've been given some great information so far. In your situation, it would be best to get chlorine in that pool. You can take care of the rest of the chemical additions in a day or so. And please, take the advice of all the great folks here and order your test kit ASAP. Good luck and keep us posted!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.