My Test Results

janeann11

LifeTime Supporter
Hello All,

We had a big pool party last weekend, the pool was a bit cloudy so I shocked it. Since then my FC has been high, my pH low and my TA came down by 10. My FC has slowly worked its way back down. My question is how to treat my pH, if at all. I have an aerating device. My fill water has high TA. Also, is my CYA too low? I use Tri-chlor tabs and an auto chlorinator. I'm scared to add extra CYA.

FC 2.4 ::: CC 0 ::: PH 7.2 ::: TA 100 ::: CH 450 :::: CYA 20 ::: TEMP 78 ::: SI -.13

The Pool Calculator says my pool is balanced but my individual numbers don't seem to meet the standards mentioned on TFP. Should I not be concerned?

Thanks for your input.

If it were my pool, I would:

1. Leave pH alone for now but monitor it.....your tri-chlor tabs are probably driving it down.....just don't go below 7.2 and your close enough.

2. Calculate to add enough CYA to raise your pool by 20ppm. Why are you afraid to do that? Do your calculations and post back here for confirmation.

3. If your pH gets any lower, raise it with 20 Mule Team Borax (use the calculator). It'll have very little effect on your T/A.

Has the cloudiness gone from your pool?

Hi Dave,

On the Taylor CYA test I fill the tube to the top and can still see the dot. I'm guesstimating the 20 CYA. I'm scared to add CYA above and beyond my Tri-chlor tabs because the the warnings on this site regarding the tabs and CYA.

If the CYA in the tabs are driving the pH down won't adding straight CYA push it down also?
My calcs: 39,400 gals ÷ 1 lb Kem-Tek CYA per 6,000 gal to raise 20 ppm : 6.5 lbs CYA

The cloudiness is removed from the pool. It looks great, the numbers are just not right on.

I added a box of borax last week. It didn't affect the pH. I guess I need to add 2 boxes.

When using trichlor it is a good idea to raise the PH any time it gets down to 7.2 (or before). The trichlor will tend to continue to drive the PH down and you don't want PH going below 7.2.

On the CYA test, if you can still see the dot at all when the tube is full, you call that a CYA level of zero.

Very low CYA levels can be managed when using trichlor, but only if the pump is running during the day time. If you winterize your pool, then adding a little CYA now is probably a good idea. Winterizing will lower the CYA level again, so adding some now is not a big deal given how close to the end of the season we are.

I realized I didn't list my location. I probably have September and October yet to use the pool. We just had a run of days over 100 degrees here. I've added some CYA. Sounds like I need to add some borax as well.

The pump does run during the day. Generally, the automatic cover is closed while it is running. The 4x45 trough is not covered.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.