Opening a pool supply retail store. Need advice.

Jun 1, 2014
Dewitt, Arkansas
I own a service and retail business. I am looking to begin selling pool supplies and providing water tests for customers. I love this site and have been using it personally. I'm interested in your opinions on brands of pool chemicals. Which brands do you feel that you get the best results with? Prefer? Bang for your buck? Anything that you would like to have better access to personally? Something to stay away from? Any advice at all is greatly appreciated!

One major issue is that the chemicals that the pool stores make money on are not the ones that we use or recommend.

All you need to sell for "us" to be happy is bulk liquid chlorine and muriatic acid at a better price than the large box stores.

I am a believer that once you have your water stabilized, you basically should only need about 2 chemicals to maintain your pool. However, 95% of the people in my area rely on someone to tell them what they need. I don't plan to stock a ton of stuff that people will never use, instead enlighten them on what I have learned here. Another point that pertains specifically to my area, is that most of the general population isn't aware that most of the chemicals that you would find in a pool supply store, can be purchased through a local grocer or hardware store. Therefore, there is a define need for the service in our area considering people have to drive 30 to 120 minutes to purchase their pool supplies

Reactions: Mdragger88
I like the concept!

Maybe you could make some sort of deal with Dave for the TF-100 and K-2006 test kits?

Depending on what the ground water is like in your area, you might consider stocking a couple of typed of Jack's Magic sequestrant.

As noted above, the LC and MA would be good.

Good luck with your adventure!

Welcome Kacee,

I honestly don't know if it is viable, but Blizzle outlined it about as well as anyone of us can. You will clearly be of a different mind set than perhaps 95% or more of your colleagues/competition using this philosophy. The main questions are whether or not you can sell these basic and essential items at a profit, and have the sales acumen to garner business as well. I don't at all presume you won't have the latter, I'm just thinking this through and sharing the thought. I would love to think it possible and I would certainly trade with an outfit like you propose. Your successful customers would absolutely spread the word about you, but I think building the base is always one of the biggest climbs. If you proceed with this, I sincerely hope you'll return and let us know how things are going with it.

There is a small Mom and Pop pool store near me that I used before finding TFP. I haven't had them test my water since. However, I have gone to them a few time for repairs, because either I didn't know exactly what part I needed, they were the Doughboy dealer and I couldn't buy online, or I just wanted the part now. In those instances, they were extremely helpful (and didnt try to push water tests or chemicals on me). If they sold liquid chlorine in bulk, or cheaper than big box stores, I would go to them exclusively.

My point is, that's the mindset of the TFP user. If you can do repairs/equipment sales (plus enough volume on cheap chemicals) you might be able to make up for not doing as much high margin items like BioGuard Nonsense®.

If you do move forward with this, please keep us posted.

Stock liquid chlorine only 10%
Stock MA
Stock Stabilizer - Especially in springtime. I love the idea of test kits if you can make it happen.
Maybe just a few of Jacks Magic for metal stain customers who use copper algecide.
Another thought, is to compose a nice inexpensive pamphlet to provide your pool product customers on how to maintain a pool using the basics

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.