Ok to keep rinsing/reusing paper filter?

Nubo

Sep 5, 2008
Vallejo, CA
We've had an Intex (sp?) above-ground pool for a few months; ignored it recently for a couple of weeks and now fighting the algae -- which led me to this site. Thought our friend was nuts when she said to start hitting it hard with Chlorox, but seems she was right! I realize now though, that I'm flying blind in terms of actual Cl levels, but pool seems headed in the right direction. Will be ordering a good test kit shortly!

Anyway, the pump and filter on this are fairly simplistic and the "backwash" recommendations I've seen would involve lots of unclamping/switching/clamping of hoses. After replacing the paper filter once I've been taking it out and rinsing the gunk out of the pleats with the kitchen sink sprayer. Flow, such as it is, seems fairly normal afterwards.

Is this ok to continue, and how long can I get away with reusing the same element? Is it better to keep reusing the "wet" cartridge, or switch back and forth while letting one dry?

Hopefully will be getting an in-ground pool next spring so I'm glad I found this site and learning a non-voodoo approach to maintenance!

HI there!

Backwashing is recommended for Sand Filters.

The Intex brand cartridges, those are meant to be disposable. :)

Many people will rinse them weekly or so and some people use them much longer than they should.... :hammer:

I believe you can buy the right sized re-usable/cleanable cartridges that will work with the Intex filters, but in reality those filters you have are meant to be tossed and replaced with a fresh one. Considering your algae bloom, I would suggest you replace it and start fresh. I believe you can buy them in 6-pack multipacks....good luck, let us know if you need any other help!

I clean my Intex paper filters with a blast from the outside hose sprayer . I clean and let dry it. I switch 2 or three over a while. Once the filters become off colored and gross inspite of blasting out the little bits in the corners and ends, its time to toss and put a new one in the mix. IMHO Kimrst

Thanks for the replies! Being new to this I just didn't have any idea of how many filters'-worth of gunk might still be floating around. Prior to the bloom, filters were lasting quite a while. I won't begrudge it a few more though... :p

Test kit is on the way!

For the price of about 2-3 intex paper filters you can get a polyester flter that will last you about 3-5 years. Check out Aladdin (Worldpool), Uncel, and Pleatco for brands. Get two of them so you can swap them out and clean and soak the dirty one. The paper filters really do not work well if you try and clean them. (But intex makes a lot of money selling you new ones every week!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.