confusion on FC level

rajung

Mar 17, 2015
Cedar Falls, Iowa
Last year I had a liner replaced due to seam failure after 1.5years old. 3 ft long seam separation.
Doughboy said it was due to too high chlorine level.
There was also bleaching around return fitting.
Was using Biogaurd silk sticks, 2 per week as instructed by pool vendor.CYA was around 90 and FC level maintained @ 9ppm
Doughboy says FC should only be 1-3ppm and only did a partial refund.
I dumped the silk stick stuff last year and everything the pool store gave me with the pool purchase.
Been using 12% chlorine-borax and other store items.
Checked my fill water before re filling a few days ago, as usual the TA is 380ppm, city water.
Currently the PH is 7.4 and CYA is 50ppm and TA is 180ppm.
Once I get the FC back to normal levels after season opening shock, I assume my CYA will still be at 50ppm so I will have to maintain a FC level of 6ppm. as per chart.
Am I going to go through the same problems since its over 3ppm since I should be at 6ppm?
I could dump some water and refill but then I will be raising the TA and do the M. acid stuff all over again as last year.

Having the FC level be too high does not cause seam failure, it just doesn't. Having FC be above 3 is only an issue with them honoring the warranty.

So they are giving you a choice, you can have FC above 3 and warranty issues, or you can have algae.

never had algae.
And the lifetime seam warranty really PM off.
took 4 months to get back to me and inform that the liner had a major seam damage due to too high chlorine.here is a copy

I trust you are finding opportunity to enjoy your pool this summer in spite of the cooler temperatures. I’m writing to let you know that although we are honoring the warranty discount you were given on your liner, Doughboy has denied the claim internally. This has no affect on our transaction with you as I’m choosing to maintain our position.

The reason for their denial is that the liner has evidence of over-chlorination. Oils inherent to the vinyl are pulled from the material when over-chlorination is present. What remains is a brittle material that in this case cracked at the seam. A warranty liner replacement defective from manufacture would actually separate at the seam.

I write this to encourage you in proper maintenance of your pool. We suggest you maintain chlorine levels of 1-3 ppm and immediately brush up any powder residue after shocking your pool. This will help maintain the color and the life of your liner.

Please note that any claims in the future which are indicative of over-chlorination will not be honored by Doughboy or by ####. I trust you will understand this position and please let me know if you have any questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.