any creative suggestions for repair?

Maxomom

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2010
I've been staring at this deteriorated concrete around my skimmer deck lid for awhile....:( There's water underneath it (duuuh) so it's not so easy as to simply concrete over, right?

Any construction gurus out there with a creative solution that might not cost $100's and $100's?

Appreciate your feedback as always!

Attachments

• IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 103
I would think you would have to chip it all out, then put a form inside that you can pour concrete on top of. Maybe Styrofoam that you can then bust up to remove through the skimmer hole?

Kind of depends what it looks like under that concrete.

Is it just sitting in there on a ledge or something? Can you pull it out, make a mold, cast a new one, put it back and put some deck-o-seal around it?

Yes, in a matter of speaking. There is a recess below the deck level on the outer edges and then the remainder is hanging over the skimmer. I suppose a concrete professional could make a mold for sure...
Thanks!

Hmmm...I kind of like where you are going with this.

Didn't think about shoving some styrofoam under there. At one time I wondered if I could simply remove all the broken bits and fill it in with pre-mixed concrete as there is a piece of rebar in there to stabilize it. The rebar is in rough shape but likely serviceable. Under the broken bits of concrete is, well, nothing, but water and the tile at the bottom of the skimmer opening to the pool. Wondered what kind of bond I would get by attempting a repair rather than a complete re-do. Know what I mean?

Thanks!

Richard - it's a little thicker than an inch but I think it could be cut out and replaced with something else. A custom plastic cover would be a great idea provided that I could still easily access the skimmer to connect/disconnect pool sweeper as needed and clean out debris. Thank you very much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.