Installer suggesting 2 skimmers for 30ft round

Welcome to TFP!

Need, certainly not. If you get a lot of leaves in the pool it can be nice to have two skimmers, but it is hardly essential.

I wouldn't do a drain for an above ground pool, but would for an in-ground.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You don't need 2 skimmers, but they may not hurt either. Make sure a skimmer is on the predominantly downwind side of the pool.
You also do not need a floor drain.

Thanks so much for the quick replies! It's an above ground. I was reading on here some time ago about the drains and if they were necessary. That's good advice. It comes with an large Hayward skimmer. Also I do not have any trees near the proposed pool location.

Also, I was wondering how far I could mount my filter/pump combo (1.5 HP) and Hayward saltwater system away from the pool? I wanted to build a nice pad for it behind the garage about 12-15ft away.

Thanks!

Oh and also I'm counter sinking the pool 27" below grade

That distance for the equipment is nothing to worry about. You could likely go many times further away before noticing any difference.

Just use a larger pipe (like 2") for the "long" runs ... in fact use 2" everywhere you can.

As long as the equipment is below the normal water level, it is fine for it to be 15 feet from the pool. This is a good situation to use rigid PVC, rather than hoses, though that is not essential.

I got to thinking about the equipment below the water line... Wow, looks like I may need to rethink my plans. Are there any scenarios where I could mount the equipment a little above the water line? Any work arounds like a larger pump, etc? With me counter sinking the pool 27" I may find that my equipment is higher than my water line.

The crucial vertical placement issue is that the entire pump needs to be below the water line. The filter can stick up a bit without problems.

There are a couple of different kinds of pumps, including ones that need to be below the water line, and ones that don't. However, the kind of pump that can be above the water line is normally designed for much longer pipe runs, and would be outside it's efficient operating range with only 15 feet between the equipment and the pool. There are just a couple of pumps that can be above the water line and also handle the short plumbing runs efficiently. For that you need a self priming medium head pump. For example the Pentair Dyna-Pro and Hayward Power Flo II would both be alright.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In-ground pools require a self-priming pump ... the wet ends are designed differently. It can "suck" the air out of the pump (called priming). Most above ground pumps can not do that and required the water to be gravity fed to start.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.