High PH

Added a quart of muriatic acid. After playing with PoolMath I think I discovered my mistake from earlier in this thread. I had the Borate set at 50 and had never tested borates (did not realize it affected the calculation to determine how much acid to add), so that is why PoolMath told me to add too much acid before. I just tested the borates and it is around 10 and tested TA and it is at 115. I will recheck pH in an hour and see where I am at.

Fix the PH pronto. You can put some CYA in a sock and throw it in the skimmer or hang it in front of a return today too. Or tomorrow. Then you need to start working on lowering your TA. It will take a few weeks, just keep working it.

Here is an article about Lowering Total Alkalinity

I am making good progress the last two days. I ran all of the tests this morning and here are my results:

PH 7.4
FC: 8.5
CC: 1.0
CH: 300
TA: 80
CYA: 50

I know CYA probably has not fully registered yet, I will check it again in a few days and add more stabilizer if needed. Is TA 80 good, or should I try to lower it a little more?

You look good where you are right now. Nice set of numbers. FC a touch high, but not bad with the CC. Keep the FC there until CCs are down. I shoot for about there myself for FC when I dose. See where your pH comes out with rise and decide from there. Same for Cya, give it some days before making another move on it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are my tests results now:

PH 7.5 (today)
FC: 10.0 (today)
CC: 0.0 (today)
CH: 300 (last tested about 10 days ago)
TA: 80 (last tested about 10 days ago)
CYA: 70 (today)
Salt: 3600

My FC is high I think because my CYA is going up and the pool is using less chlorine. I have turned down the SWG (again) to try and find the best balance, but it will probably take a few adjustments until my CYA has leveled off. I put 2 lbs of additional stabilizer in a couple of days ago so CYA will probably go up some more, hopefully not too much though. The water looks great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.