Auto fill, working properly or not ?

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

Our PB installed an auto-fill, but I am not sure if it is operating properly.

Based on the waterline should bisect our top-tile in half, it is now below that point. When I push down on the floating ball to simulate a much lower level of water, you hear the water come on, but the flow rate is no more than if an old tank on a toilet was leaking. Does this flow rate sound correct?

Are there any videos or something that I can on how a proper auto-fill valve should work?

Thank you very much,
tstex

Yes, that is exactly how ours works. It runs a lot, but our water bill didn't go up noticeably, so it must be running at a very low rate. If we have a big crazy swim weekend it takes several days to get back normal water level. Don't know about any videos.

There's practically no way to perfectly adjust the autofill on the first try. It will have to be readjusted multiple times if you're looking to hit an exact spot on a tile (how big a tile? 1"sq? 6"sq) . Yes, the autofill just leaks water into the pool so after it's adjusted, it could take a day or 2 to come to it's final level.

If we're talking about being within 1/2" of the "ideal" spot, that should be just fine and not cause any problems. I suspect the pool was filled with a hose to a level above where the autofill would have put it and, with some water loss, the pool's level is now lower and not at the point where the autofill will start adding water. If it continues lower and you want it to maintain a higher level, you'll have to readjust the the float height. Probably will take several attempts to get it where you want it.

well, sounds like I am in the same boat.

tile at the water line is 6". So it's at about 1/3 the way or 2" vs at 3" where it needs to be. I guess if I raised the float some it would raise the water line too. Hopefully there is a way to increase the flow-rate too. It seems that the evaporation rate is faster then the flow rate so it will be running all the time. we have a 16-17K gal pool and a huge 9'x9' spa that is deep....I have filled w hose to date to speed-up the process.

Thank you,
tstex

For those that can raise the water line an inch an hr. what make/model and configuration for auto-fill do you have?

Mine too looks like the old toilet-tank ball and arm, but a lot smaller and is too in skimmer like hole w brass top

If you need a large increase in water level, the valves will be open more and raise the water faster. If the level is very near the set level, the valve will only be slightly open. I think mine basically runs a little bit all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

If you need a large increase in water level ... throw a hose in it and do not rely on the auto-fill which is meant to maintain the level ;)

If you need a large increase in water level, the valves will be open more and raise the water faster. If the level is very near the set level, the valve will only be slightly open. I think mine basically runs a little bit all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

If you need a large increase in water level ... throw a hose in it and do not rely on the auto-fill which is meant to maintain the level ;)

^^^This

the autofill is really a maintenance item. the hose will be much faster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For those that can raise the water line an inch an hr. what make/model and configuration for auto-fill do you have?

Mine too looks like the old toilet-tank ball and arm, but a lot smaller and is too in skimmer like hole w brass top

The amount of flow matters, but if your pool is 40k gallons, it won't be filled as fast as the guy above with 18k gallons. Can you please add your pool specs to your sig line? It will help to answer you better and faster in many instances.

I just adjusted mine the other day, just turn the set screw and push it down til it makes the toilet refill sound.and tighten it back up...go in small increments til you get it just right. I have crazy good water pressure so mine fills fast, but you may not. Just adjust it a little at a time and you will be golden.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.