Leaks leaks leaks

Mar 31, 2015
Vancouver
Hi guys. My name is Kris and am new to owning a pool as we bought our house with the pool already here. I'll start with a rundown as to what I have.

It is an inground vinyl liner pool
Pyrex Triton Tagelus TA 60D sand filter

We used the pool last summer and had no issues. This year we went to start up the pool and all was well. I noticed a few days later the water level was lower so I started to look around and found a few leaks. There was a leak where the control valve meets the tank, the sightglass with the vacuum relief was leaking from the holes in the end, Pvc joints where pipes enter and exit the heater and a pinhole at the pump basket housing. Just my luck lol.

Changed the seal at the tank to control head. No more leak. Replaced sight glass but still drips from the holes on the end during normal filtration. Should water enter the sight glass during filtration? As for the PVC leaks I'm replacing the joints and will attempt to epoxy the pump basket leak. Can anyone share their knowledge on the sight glass? What is the normal operating pressure for a similar filter?

Thanks in advance from a newbie ?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

- I thought the sight glass should only get water when in backwash or waste or rinse mode, not during filtration. At least that is how my DE filter is.

-There is no "normal" operating pressure per se. Depends on your pump and the plumbing and the jets and the ... If it is between 5psi and 30psi for a single speed pump it is "normal".

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Water in the sight glass during filtration is not normal and usually means the spider gasket is shot, thus allowing water to be bled out the waste line which is probably where most of your lost water has gone...

Thanks guys! I will update the profile as soon as I can. I had a feeling the water in the sight glass was a sign of water waste since it's what we use to see when the water runs clear. I'm assuming #8 is the spider gasket?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 67
Thanks guys. Took the control head top off and cleaned the gasket and mating surface of all sand and debris. Put it back together and snugged it down. Turn on the pump and no water in the sight glass so one leak down! Started on the PVC joints and took them out to find the previous person in there hadn't tightened them on enough. Looks like at least one full revolution short and they used clear silicon on the threads as a sealant. I'm pretty sure you use Teflon tape or a paste. Any thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.