New Hayward SP3400VSP not priming

Aug 10, 2014
Auburndale, fl
I had my brother in law help me install a Hayward SP3400VSP at my house. The old pump was only 115v, so we had to run a new line and got the new pump running fine. After hooking it up I noticed it worked fine the first night or two, but after that it wasn't running. I went to check it out and it was throwing a "Drive Error : Prime failed" code. Whenever it did that I would just go hit the resume, then a speed for it to start working. I had to do that a couple of times because it would do it pretty much everyday. My pool is now green because a few nights ago I was given the error again, but now it will not prime at all. It won't even get off that code. I ended up going to the breaker box, shutting off the power to it, then turned it back on. That was the only way I could clear that code. I just went out to the pump and noticed it says it is on speed 1, but the pump is not running. I can't seem to catch a break.

I ran water with a hose bladder in the skimmer line to make sure water cycled through, which it does. The pool looks like it hasn't lost any water, so I don't think there is a leak. The filter is clean, and I even tried taking it out to see if it'd run without it, but it doesn't. I tried sticking a flat head in the impeller to see if it has debris, but I haven't seen anything come out of it and it does turn when I spin it manually.

I just can't catch a break with this pool. The filter I bought a few months back, but never installed till about a month and half ago tops, so that is even brand new. Between the pump, filter, parts for the pool, that was about $1,200. I really don't want to spend anymore money on this pool, but I guess I might have no choice. I was really hoping to have the pool up this weekend for my 15 month old daughter to let her start her swim lessons, but that isn't going to happen now. Could there be bad part already in the pump? I bought it a month ago and just noticed on the back of the manual it says to register it within 10 days. I did register it last night, so hopefully they don't give me any troubles if there is something wrong with it. I will greatly appreciate any input.

I have an answer for you. In the programming take the auto prime off and set it for 3 min prime. This will solve your problem. Many times on auto prime the pump will not recognize the problem. I am with Hayward so if you want to discuss this Private Message me your phone number and I will call. The reset to 3 min prime should solve your problem.

I have an answer for you. In the programming take the auto prime off and set it for 3 min prime. This will solve your problem. Many times on auto prime the pump will not recognize the problem. I am with Hayward so if you want to discuss this Private Message me your phone number and I will call. The reset to 3 min prime should solve your problem.

It's frickin' awesome to have the equipment manufacturer reading these threads and sprinkling in words of wisdom when it's needed. I love it!

I appreciate the response. Both my pump and pool filter I bought are from Hayward, so this makes me happy I stayed with Hayward.

I changed the settings to 3 minutes and it still does not work. Here is a small video I recorded to show what I'm getting. Link to video.

This was recorded tonight when I got home and it was dark, so if the pump was running, you'd hear it. The pump is on and just finished it's 3 minute prime and says it's running at 1,750rpm, but no water is cycling. It is showing 0 watts. I don't know if that is something to do with electrical, or 0 watts because it just isn't cycling. If it's electrical, I wouldn't get why it was working fine before, and not now.

Hi, I have a few questions but need to talk with you on the phone. I have a few ideas but need to have a give and take conversation. It could be electrical if one leg has dropped the display will operate off the one remaining leg. Can you Private message me your phone number.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Confirmed with the electrician who did the install that the pump is getting 230v. This most likely is a warranty call. I am scheduling a warranty station. I will post the findings. Customer understands that if the problem is an installation issue there may be a charge. My guess, drive problem.

The repair people came today and replaced the drive (motor?). The pump is up and working again. Nothing else was wrong but that.

It's frustrating that I pretty much had problems from the beginning with this pump and two weeks later it pretty much failed on me, but I will applaud Hayward for making this an easy and pleasant experience to get the pump working again. I thought this was going to be a nightmare for me to get fixed, but for them to offer the customer service they did (with them contacting me here), made it so easy. Hopefully nothing else happens with the pump so I can have the pool up and running soon so we can continue to give our 1 year old swim lessons.

Thank you Hayward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.