Bubbles in the pump basket - Noise at the Multiport on the filter

myrddin

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2012
Southern Indiana
I usually just sort things out like this myself... and you have all sorts of good info in the forum but I am sorta stuck...

here it goes.

I opened the other day all went well as usual... Once done I noticed a few small bubbles in the pump strainer... didn't think much of it, but its been a few days and they are still there... I do not see anything coming out of the returns... Nothing visible anyway. I did the normal:

1. inspect and lube the pump lid gasket (was fine, I lubed it anyway.
2. chk the two drain plugs at the pump base (I added Teflon tape) seem fine.
3. I checked the skimmer and water level (water s half way on the skimmer door).
4. look for bubbles at the weir ( I do have some small ones at the top (floating weir) but nothing huge... If I remove the weir it get the tornado effect with no bubbles. I did try to raise and lower the water... didn't really change anything.

I also lubed the connecting pipe to the pump (inlet and outlet)
I back washed for a few min, and rinsed

For the heck of it I replaced the skimmer and main drain valves at the pump suction side to be sure (had some jandy never lubes on hand)... didn't matter.

I don't lose prime when I shut the pump off (unless I remove the lid or something like that...

Second thing:
I have some cavitating or at least air sounds in my multiport Vari-Flo XL... it is most pronounced in the return line right at the valve...

Only odd thing I saw during my open was some water shot out of the side of the pump (where the pump body meats the block that the motor screws into...

Any help would be awesome... the bubbles are tiny but always visible in the pump lid window.. it self primes fine, it hold water fine... just tiny bubbles...

toughs??? I can add a video ov the noise at the port, and the bubbles if you like?

The water shooting out of the pump could be a suction leak. They tend to spurt water on shutoff. I'd try to track that down first

I could do that... I don't see any signs of a leak in that area, I'm not sure if that is suction or pressure... I think that is the area where the impeller is, like right below where the pipe takes the water to the filter.

Few pics and video

Wonder where I would get seals orcwhatever needed for my pump?

You think this will work?
Pentair SuperFlo & SuperMax Go Kit, Complete Pump O-Ring Rebuild Kit

Price: $13.95 + Free Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K03Z82W/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1427850177&sr=8-1&keywords=Pentair+SuperFlo+%26+SuperMax+Go+Kit%2C+Complete+Pump+O-Ring+Rebuild+Kit

Most of what I have read today says if the pump seals were bad it would leak water out of the pump, not show bubbles in the strainer basket... I do have a seal kit on the way but I want to also explore any other thoughts... Seems odd... I wish it would work right.

This is a good situation to try the garden hose thing: while watching the bubbles in the strainer basket, run water with a garden hose over each section of the suction side plumbing and the suction side of the pump body, and watch to see if the bubbles go away when you are running water in a specific area. If it works, you can greatly narrow down the location of the air leak.

Worth a shot... Also I turned the pump off and I also shut the MD and Skimmer jandy valves off and it looked like air was coming in still from the suction inlet... I only had a few min to look so I can't say if it was residual or actual air. If I get back to the house and it's full of air I will repeat. I replaced the suction side from the ground to the pump... But I did not replace the fitting that screws into the pump... Will check it out.

So when I got back home the strainer basket was half empty with no pressure... That tells me that the air leak is between the jandy valves and the pump or the shaft seal or whatever in the pump. I would guess with the pump shut off and the valves closed that it should hold its prime???

I will try the hose trick tomorrow and I may see if I can replace the o ring in the fitting that screws the suction side to the pump... Need to be sure that the fitting lines up perfectly with the face of the pump as well..

If it's that fitting I don't know what to do because I didn't leave any room to cut and replace... I am sure I can adapt something if needed.

Thoughts?

Alright, I was able to run water over the area between the jandy valves and the suction side of the pump... the bubbles do stop when I do that. I wish I had more time before work but i didn't... You think shaving cream will be the next step to find the exact point? I know the obvious answer should the the fitting where the suction side pipe screws on to the pump... but I am unsure if its that or the fitting its self, or the joint where it's glued to the pipe... (will never reuse one of these agn - stupid).

if its the fitting... I am wondering if I can use some 1.5 ID ash 40 and just cut the fitting off and run the pipe over what I have and then shove a new fitting in that... kind of like a union... I gave myself no room to cut and replace... I just didn't think I needed to be concerned...

thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I put a banjo style clamp on the area I think is the suction leak... 99% of the bubbles are gone.

Question... If I see a few "BB" size bubbles flow through occasionally if that acceptable? I didn't time it, but I saw 1-2 while looking for 3-5 min...

Thanks for any help or thoughts you folks can offer...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.