Depth Help - if you could do it again - what would you choose?

Sunbaby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 27, 2015
Centerville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I've been lurking for YEARS and finally getting to build my dream pool! I am SO excited - signed our contract today!

The depth of the pool is something we can change up to the point of dig- but we are really struggling with what we should do. We originally wanted 3 1/2 - 7 honestly, because that is what all the pools we have been in were. When the different builders started asking us about the intended "use" for the pool was and why we want so much of the pool where people can't touch - it made perfect sense to go much shallower.

We do not have kids - we are not divers and will have no slide. We DO want to be able to jump in - like cannonball. Probably not us - but I can imagine parties . . . This will be a social pool for us - a place to relax, drink, and listen to the waterfalls. So, here is what we are considering:
  • Sports Pool 3 1/2 - 5 1/2 - 4 1/2
  • Traditional 3 1/2 - 5 1/2
  • Traditional 3 1/2 - 6

I can't really think of any reason to be deeper than 6.

Our pool is going to be freeform - 33' X 17 (spa, waterfall, weeping wall and tanning ledge)

What do you have? Do you love it? Would you make changes to the depth if you could do it again?

Thank you for your help!

6-7' are weird depths. Too deep to stand in, but too shallow to really jump/dive into.

If you cannonball into a 5-6' pool, you will probably hit your backside on the bottom.

Really? One of my friends built a pool last year and she said that everyone cannonballs where the slide is (which is 5' 6") - she said even the adults don't hit. How deep would you think it would need to be to Cannonball? It sounds so funny that I am considering cannon-balling in the design of my pool. I really do appreciate the help! TY

Mine goes to 6' and yeah, you can hit your butt on the bottom. I'm a trauma nurse so I always worry about spinal injuries from shallow pools and folks diving in. I also love to dive (even if just from the side) and miss it enormously. I wish mine was deeper, at least 7'..
As to socializing, one can float on rafts and rings in the deep end and let their legs hang and enjoy it just as much as just standing in the shallow end.

- - - Updated - - -

I would NEVER allow diving in my pool - no matter how deep. I remember hitting my head and face as a child when I was learning to dive. I cringe when I watch divers! I may have to say no cannon-balling too :(. I sure don't want that much wasted space. (me and the hubby wouldn't use a deep end) he has MS -so we are looking at wanting to be able to walk the bottom as much as possible. Guess I need to just figure if I want deeper in the middle or end . . .

Ours is 3-1/2-5-4. The only thing we would change is 3-1/2 to 4. 3-1/2 is too shallow. So, 4-5-4 would be our perfect pool. We do cannonballs into the 5 like crazy people. We do hit the bottom some but not a lot and not hard. It is the perfect hang out and drink pool because there is tons of room for everyone to spread out and stand up. And it is the perfect play with the kids pool.

I will throw another option out at you just as food for thought.

why not go 4- 5 1/2 -4 ?

Since you have no small kids there is really no reason why you should limit the shallow to 3 1/2 (although thats fine).
If you are equal depth on each end, and deeper middle you could have a true sports pool for volleyball with a net across the middle for your parties.
The slightly deeper shallow ends would also mean the slope from shallow to deep middle will be much less of a slope, which is great for good footing.

As a FYI, I cannonball in my 6 ft deep end and have no problem with the bottom. I "shallow dive" from the deck too, but with a name like, mine, what would you expect?
:)

EDIT: oops, I see pooldv already offered up a equal end sport pool! my bad!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm going 8.5' deep and I wish I had room to go deeper. My pool growing up was 10' deep and my best memories were spending summers doing deep dives/tricks off the board and swimming as deep as possible. Gonna try to recreate that magic.

As soon as I have an updated drawing in my greedy little hands - I will share it with you - my pool is 33' long - but the tanning shelf is at one end - so that takes up some space - I think 6' So in theory, at least - the true usable pool will be 27' long. If that is the case - will my grade be too steep to do 3.6-5.6-4.6?

Mine is 7', I wanted 8', but the PB was going to add a significant amount $ due to breaking their backhoe with all the Caliche they had to dig through. next step was a jackhammer which is high $$ during an oil boom apparently.

I have hit the bottom of my 7' pool with a cannonball.

in retrospect I'd have paid the money for the additional foot (or 3). Father in laws pool was 12ft deep...I kinda miss that.

Mine is 8', deep enough, but if I jump from the raised bond beam I'm close to touching the bottom. If I was rebuilding I would make the pool 23' x 46' long and go to 10' deep, I was trying to save $ then, but now i'd prefer to be a little bigger. I don't put any restrictions on pool activities, I just tell people if they hit the bottom they wont be invited back.

Great thread. My biggest fear is adults jumping/diving in. When designing a pool I was speaking with a co-worker and she went 5.5 feet thinking no one would be jumping in because they wouldn't allow it. A guest jumped or dove (or something) in, broke his ankle or wrist, I forget which and presented her with his medical bills. This was after she had told him no jumping or diving in the pool. I put mine to 7' for this reason.

I believe the industry standard recommends the shallow end be no deeper than 3'6". I don't know the reasoning, but unless that is just a "pulled out of you know where" number, I'd at least investigate the reasoning before violating it.

I will throw another option out at you just as food for thought.

why not go 4- 5 1/2 -4 ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.