Cost to re-plaster?

Feb 26, 2015
Austin
Right now I'm trying to decide whether to go with regular plaster or a smooth pebble surface. I'm having a hard time getting a straight answer on how much a re-plaster job costs, since the PBs would rather get the extra $ from the pebble markup. And is it true this needs to be done every 10 years or can you stretch it with good pool maintenance? The pebble has a 15 year warranty, but I'm trying to do a cost-benefit analysis.

Plaster or pebble can last MUCH longer than 10 years with proper application and chemical maintenance. The pebble should last longer though.

Hard to do an analysis if they will not give you a price quote though ...

Indeed, regular plaster typically lasts around 10 year, but actual lifetime can be shorter or longer based on how carefully you take care of it. Pebble typically lasts close to 30 years, again longer or shorter depending on how carefully you take care of it. Paster lifetime is more sensitive to care, i.e. varies more.

The cost of re-plastering varies quite a bit depending on the size of the pool and the part of the country you are in.

What size and type of pool do you have?

If you will add your pool details to your profile, It will help us answer you better.

Quartz should be another consideration on your list. Its a great in between, and a lot of peopl prefer it for smoothness. Better than plaster for sure.

Tedyjam,

I'm in the DFW area and just had a 12.5K gallon pool redone. I suggest you look for someone that specializes in pool plaster not a pool builder who will just hire the same plaster guy and charge you more. The quote I received for new tile and regular plaster was $4,000, and for new tile and pebble was $6,000. Every quote I got had both options and were all in the same price range. I believe that pool builders want to build new pools and see re-plaster as something they will do if nothing else is going on.

Jim R.

Plaster or pebble can last MUCH longer than 10 years with proper application and chemical maintenance. The pebble should last longer though.

Hard to do an analysis if they will not give you a price quote though ...
Sorry if I wasnt clear. I realize pebble lasts longer, especially since it has a 15 year warranty. I was asking about plaster lasting longer than 10 years.

So it's $4900 to upgrade to WetEdge Primera Stone, which is the smoothest alternative to plaster I've found (I want the smoothest pool surface possible).

My pool will be basically rectangular, 15 x 36, 592 sq ft., 26,600 gallons, SWG system.

From a cost basis, it's looking like it would be wiser to get the Wetedge, but I could be wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.