Talk about your pool cleaner - Earn $30

[email protected]

Platinum Supporter
Mar 29, 2015
Sydney, Australia
We’re doing research on automatic pool cleaners (both the good and bad) and would like the input of TFP members.

If you meet all of the following criteria, we’d like to talk to you.
  • you own an in-ground pool
  • you clean the pool yourself
  • you have owned ANY TYPE of AUTOMATIC POOL CLEANER for more than 4 years (any brand)
  • you have replaced parts on the pressure cleaner
  • you have installed or set up a new pressure cleaner, and
  • you have purchased a new cleaner (any type)
Please click here to register your interest.

Interviews will be by phone, take 30 minutes, and can be scheduled at a time that suits you.

When done, we’ll send you a $30 Amazon gift card right away as a thank you for your time.

We are a professional research organization. We will not try sell you anything and we will never share your details. We only want to understand your needs, what frustrates you, or what could be better about your experience with pool cleaners.

We are very much looking forward to talking with you, the combined knowledge and experience of TFP members in this space would be quite impressive.

Regards,

Thomas

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP Thomas.

This should be interesting, and I hope this effort is fruitful for your organization. I would join the survey, but I'm disqualified. Being that I just built a pool last year, and deciding against a pressure cleaner for a Robot. Perhaps you'll do a survey on those at some point in the future.

Good luck with the survey, and enjoy the forum.

Add me to the list of Robot owners who would be willing to give my take on my robot. I'm right at a year of ownership currently... So I'm disqualified for this one, but would love to see the results of your survey.

Just to throw my cent and a half in here. I've got a 3+ year old pressure side Pentair legend II. It is aaiight. I don't love it, I don't hate it. Seems like I have to mess with it a little more than I would like as far as aiming the nozzle, ballast, hose in the way of itself, etc. Stuff changes for no apparent reason. Also, when the filter gets a little clogged up the performance changes quite a bit. It slows down, floats around aimlessly a little more, doesn't have the power to climb the wall anymore. it is pretty sensitive to water flow. I will definitely consider a robot when I get more tired of it than I am already. But, my pool is clean and sparkly so it isn't all bad at all.

Just to throw my cent and a half in here. I've got a 3+ year old pressure side Pentair legend II. It is aaiight. I don't love it, I don't hate it. Seems like I have to mess with it a little more than I would like as far as aiming the nozzle, ballast, hose in the way of itself, etc. Stuff changes for no apparent reason. Also, when the filter gets a little clogged up the performance changes quite a bit. It slows down, floats around aimlessly a little more, doesn't have the power to climb the wall anymore. it is pretty sensitive to water flow. I will definitely consider a robot when I get more tired of it than I am already. But, my pool is clean and sparkly so it isn't all bad at all.

pooldv,
That's exactly the type of info I'm looking for. You'd be perfect to talk to, are you up for a chat?

Mod's and robot lovers
Firstly thanks for the welcome, and 2nd I think a discussion with robot owners would be fruitful, I'll revise the criteria to let you guys in. Here's the link to sign up if interested in discussing.

Regards,

Tom

I never had a pressure cleaner ... in fact from what I see we typically do not recommend them ... especially the boosted ones due to the need to run 2 pumps and thus waste electricity.

First pool had in floor jets. Second pool went through 2 robots that died and now have a suction cleaner ... although I very well may want to get another robot in the not too distant future. Guess I do not qualify for the survey either :D

pooldv,
That's exactly the type of info I'm looking for. You'd be perfect to talk to, are you up for a chat?

Mod's and robot lovers
Firstly thanks for the welcome, and 2nd I think a discussion with robot owners would be fruitful, I'll revise the criteria to let you guys in. Here's the link to sign up if interested in discussing.

Regards,

Tom

OK, I signed up using the revised link.

Signed up for the survey.

I'm surprised more people havent said that yet. But, the season hasn't fully kicked off...by a long shot. Coming soon though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did my interview earlier. It was great, very well thought out and professional. Hopefully if we all give our feedback they can design and build the perfect pool cleaner. You know, cheap, reliable, fully automatic, self-emptying, things like that. :)

A Polaris 360 came with our house when we moved in last August, so I guess I'm out of the survey. It did an ok job considering it was only 2 wheel drive (out of three) and was nearly worn out and sun faded. I just rebuilt it last week, and it does a lot better now. I like it because it runs off of the existing pump, and it's pretty easy to manage. The 360 does well near the walls because of the nice round transition from floor to wall, and there's not really any corners for it to get stuck in (except the stairs). What I also like about Polaris cleaners in general is that they are well supported by Polaris, and my local pool store keeps a good stock of parts for sale.

My dad also had a 360 at his old house. He had a IG vinyl pool (36 x 18 x 9), and the 360 in his pool didn't do as well. I believe that was due to all of the sharp corners, and the deep end. Usually had to use the manual vacuum in the corners in that pool.

Great Interview! (Patrick, I talked too much and hijacked your time slot) - :)
Tom is a great guy and we talked about all sorts of things pool related. I enjoyed it!

HA, I talked way too much too. Maybe he is going to regret asking a bunch of pool nerds to talk about their pools! Doesn't he know we all sit around talking about pools all day every day?!?!?!? Well, he does now! :)

A Polaris 360 came with our house when we moved in last August, so I guess I'm out of the survey. It did an ok job considering it was only 2 wheel drive (out of three) and was nearly worn out and sun faded. I just rebuilt it last week, and it does a lot better now. I like it because it runs off of the existing pump, and it's pretty easy to manage. The 360 does well near the walls because of the nice round transition from floor to wall, and there's not really any corners for it to get stuck in (except the stairs). What I also like about Polaris cleaners in general is that they are well supported by Polaris, and my local pool store keeps a good stock of parts for sale.

My dad also had a 360 at his old house. He had a IG vinyl pool (36 x 18 x 9), and the 360 in his pool didn't do as well. I believe that was due to all of the sharp corners, and the deep end. Usually had to use the manual vacuum in the corners in that pool.

jrs_diesel,
Actually I'd really like to talk to you, I haven't talked to anyone with a 360 yet and would be keen for your thoughts, for some reason it's hard to find someone who uses a non-boosted pressure side cleaner, maybe there aren't that many out there?.
Anyway if you're up for a discussion, click this link and fill in a short survey Also, if you could PM me your phone #, email and the best times for you to talk that would be great.

Regards,

Tom

HA, I talked way too much too. Maybe he is going to regret asking a bunch of pool nerds to talk about their pools! Doesn't he know we all sit around talking about pools all day every day?!?!?!? Well, he does now! :)

No pooldv, I'm not regretting it at all! except the fact that Divin Dave told me so much that he used up all the time I had booked for him AND all the time I was supposed to be talking to Patrick_B! So sorry about that Patrick! Hopefully we can re-schedule? Anyway you guys were perfect interviewees, I'm looking forward to talking to more TFP'ers now!

I'm dq'ed since we have an AG pool and use a Polaris sweeper that catches debris in a net. Although its advertised as a vacuum. Works "good enough" though not great.
This survey would be great for those who do qualify.
:goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.