Mar 30, 2015
Santa Ana
My waterfall piping is leaking and I don't know what sort of pipes I need to replace them with. They broke where they rub against the rocks.

The existing pipes are neither the flexible ones nor the solid pvc pipes. The pipes are curved so they can bend to some degree.

I have attached Photo.

Any suggestions of the name of these pipes and where I can buy them from would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

uploadfromtaptalk1427774022903.jpg

Hi and welcome to TFP!

that black pipe is known as Poly Pipe. It's commonly used in the lawn and commercial irrigation industry.
Probably your best bet is to call around plumbing supply shops.

Lowes and Home Depot have it in smaller diameters, but not sure about larger ones, but you migh google HD or Lowes and see.

I would use the flex PVC. You will be able to install it around and away from the rocks easier. I do not know the exact specs on each, but I can tell you the flex PVC is plenty strong and used by pool builders. (I have it installed in my pool ) Another benefit of the flex PVC is less fittings. Less fittings=less chance of leaks. I think it would offer a neater install too. Just my opinion though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Poly pipe is meant to be inexpensive and to be truthful, should never have been used in this application. It was an inexpenive deal done by whomever did it.
PVC flex is the better choice.

Final question. I can't avoid the rocks. The rocks are part of the water fall and the pipes will need to go between the rocks. Do you still recommend flex pvc?

I would recommend using hard Sch 40 PVC anywhere you can and only using the Flex (which is quite expensive) where you have to.

Your picture does not provide enough of a view to get a clear idea of what you are dealing with.

I'm going to assume they used the Black irrigation pipe because it has more flex to it than rigid schedule 40 PVC. If you do not have any straight runs, you will have to use the Flex pipe. Ask yourself this question as well ? How long did the current set-up last ?? Answer, probably years. Whatever route you decide on, I wouldn't sweat it too much. The new set-up will last longer.

So, I took everyones advice and I think I can make it work with schedule 40 piping, but I need some advice. I am limited in what I can do due to the rocks.

It's hard to see from the picture, but the water will enter at the top and hit a t junction. The water will flow to the left and right. The problem with the water flowing to the right is that it will flow through the second pipe and never make it to the third pipe on the right. Any tricks I can use to divert the water to the third pipe?

uploadfromtaptalk1429169180601.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.