intermittent transformer buzzing

Mar 30, 2015
Cape Coral/FL
Hi

My low voltage transformer for the pool light makes a loud buzzing noise sometimes. Is this normal, or a sign that something needs to be repaired? I just bought the house recently, so don't know how long it's been doing it, and don't know doodley about pools yet.

Thanks!

Dan

Its probably nothing to worry about. When transformers go, they usually just go without much warning, if any.

Its not unusual for them to hum sometimes. They have a magnetic core and steel strips in them and when the currrent passes through, the magnetic force cuases the steel strips to vibrate and results in the humming sound

Hi

My low voltage transformer for the pool light makes a loud buzzing noise sometimes. Is this normal, or a sign that something needs to be repaired? I just bought the house recently, so don't know how long it's been doing it, and don't know doodley about pools yet.

Thanks!

Dan

Hi again,

So, last night the light went out. I haven't pulled the bulb yet, but I did put a meter on the output of the transformer and it's giving me about 3V. It's still buzzing. I verified that the input voltage is the 110v that it's supposed to be. I know there's going to be a tolerance on the output voltage, but I expect that's too low. Does anyone have suggestions on troubleshooting and/or verifying the problem before I sink the bucks into a new bulb or transformer?

Thanks!

Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.