New Pump advice

GE2001

Mar 30, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a 24K gal inground pool that is 15 yrs old and has the original Sta-Rite Dynaglass MPRA6F-148L 1.5HP 230v pump, starite dual cartridge filter & gas heater. I have two skimmers and two returns plus a return for a buddy seat with a jacuzzi jet in each one, it also has a return line for a pressure cleaner I am no longer using since I replaced it with electric robot. I am considering adding solar heat, the pump is about 70ft from the house and would like to place the solar panels on the roof which is about 25ft to the roof. I want to replace the pump with either a 2 speed or Variable speed pump. I have no idea how much pressure I am gong to need once the solar panels are installed so I am wondering if it makes sense to spend the extra money on a VS pump to ensure I can dial in whatever I need to make all of this work properly or should I consider buying a separate pump just for the solar and get a 2 speed for the pool. Thank you.

What's the condition overall? Why would you change out the impeller? Is there damage to it? They don't usually wear out, but get damaged from overheating (not enough water/failure to prime), or physical damage from not using the strainer basket. Some solar controllers will switch from low to high speed when solar is activated.

When you change out the motor, buy the seal kit, replace all the seals it should also have the shaft seal. You should be good to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.