Road-mix / Screenings for Pool Bottom?

Sep 3, 2008
Bucks County, PA
Wow,

What a great forum! I've been lurking since last Summer "here and there", and again (more often this Summer). I finally registered to get ready for next year's install. I've been using the search and reading a bunch but had 1 initial question.

My question:

I've been reading quite a bit about using road-mix / screenings as the pool base. I've looked at a few other places on the internet as well as spoken to a few local pool guys.

What are everyone's thoughts on using the screenings and Gorilla Pad or Happy Bottom in lieu of just sand? We have decided on a 15 x 30 x 52" A/G.

Originally I had planned to level and use sand but I have appx 25 Tons - a full truckload of screenings left over from a paver patio install.

I wanted to use the screenings and Gorilla Pad as my base.

Can I get opinions - Good or Bad (or if I'm off base) on the following?: I'd like to use.

1. Road-mix/Screenings (Would like to verify thickness with the board)
2. Gorilla Pad
3. And the Foam Cove (is there a difference between the stick on kind and the kind with the metal backing??)

Followed by the liner of course.

Sorry for the long post.

Just to clarify in case "this stuff" is called something different in different places, I've taken a few pics. The first pic is just a handful out of the pile to show consistency. The second (in the red area) is what it looks like - even after only a light tamp.

It really packs down like a concrete slab. I'm sure others on the forum must have used it at some point...no??

I wanted to go with this along with the Happy Bottom or Gorilla Pad and a foam cove. (Although making the cove with this , similar to a sand cove I think would work just as well).

It's been almost 20 years since I've installed a pool so this forum is a HUGE help.

Attachments

• DSCI0135.JPG
    DSCI0135.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 255
  • DSCI0133.JPG
    DSCI0133.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 220
If it compacts smooth and you have it on hand, I'd use it along with the gorilla padding.

Anyone else think otherwise?

BTW, I love my happy bottom floor pad, coves and wall pad! :mrgreen: Good Luck and post pictures! 8)

Thanks Casey,

"have it on hand" is an understatement.... I made some changes to the layout of the paver patio and retaining walls so I've got a full dump truck. (appx 25 tons left). Should have P-L-E-N-T-Y that's for sure.

PS. is 2-3" enough of a base?? Would more hurt?? I believe the last pool I did (15x33 A/G) I used 2" of sand. I'm sure the instructions with the pool will state that but it pays to ask others.

After doing a few retaining walls (this house as well as the last house), I really love the way this "stuff" compacts. It really tamps down as smooth as concrete and has much more "friction" than sand which I would think would be a good thing.

It really does tamp into a smooth surface. We actually only live a few miles from 2 quarries that mine the mix and when they drilled our well, some of the very same material needed to be broken through while digging. After 5 years, the small pile that was on a portion of our wooded lot (and packed down with the well drilling truck) is still there, packed down and solid as a rock. (Yet, if you briskly rake it with a concrete rake, you can still get it to move with a little force. When it's packed, it's really nice "stuff". Even weeds can't seem to grow through it.

Opinions from others would still be helpful. I'll be posting pics when I do my install as well.

go ahead and use it. i did mine like that and i love it. also used the gorilla pad and the wall foam. i dont think you will have problems. just make sure you pack the heck out of them and then repack again to be sure. if i had to use them again, i would. easier than sand. also while you are packing them down, wet the area as they will pack even better.

mudrider420,

Thanks for the reply. I just ordered a plate compactor. (I'm doing so much patio work next year, it really didn't pay to keep renting one). Boy they really do a fantastic job packing the material down. Although, even using an 8x8 or 12x12 hand tamper, this stuff really packs well also.

By the way, How thick did you make your base? (just curious). If I remember right, I think I used 2 inches thick (average) of sand on the last install. Since you've used it, do you think more would be any better or would it be just wasting it?? Just curious how much you used.

On one hand, I have plenty of it. On the other, I wouldn't want to dump down 4-5+" and find out that it's "not a good thing". I think at some point, too thick may be a bad thing.....unless I buy a steamroller next :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.