Hello from So Cal

xjrguy

Sep 3, 2008
My name is Tim and my wife and I have a recently remodeled pool and spa in our backyard.

I went from almost ZERO knowledge of pools and related to knowing what I am doing and keeping the pool clean and safe with relatively no maintenance.

We have:

16x36 rectangular gunite with a 9.5 ft deep end.
One skimmer and one suction side line integrated into the pool
Jandy 60 sq/ft DE filter
Jandy Stealth 1HP main pump
Jandy Stealth 2HP spa/booster pump
Jandy Neverlube valves
Jandy Electronic valve actuators
Jandy Spa Link controller (4 way)
Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG integrated into the RS8 Panel
Jandy Surge protector (found on ebay for $50 and added post remodel)
Jandy Wireless Controller for the RS8
Jandy LXI 400,000btu natural gas heater
Hayward Navigator
Aquabot Turbo T2

Had no idea how most of this stuff worked 2 years ago until I dove head first added salt to pool to get the SWG working (builder's were going to do it but they got busy after month of gunite curing so I did it myself)

Only problems we had was a ground line got messed up preventing the heater from coming on and the RS8 panel had a stray wire causing arcing when unscrewing the panel. Both were resolved within a week of finding the problem.

I now am anal retentive about the water, and the care of the gear.

We fired the pool guy after we began the remodel two years ago and never looked back.

Last week my SWG detected low salt in the pool. The walls started getting green after only two days of hot weather. I didn't know what was going on but when I checked the remote control it said low salt.

Jumped in pool (for the first time this season LOL) and completely brushed the walls of the pool.

Off to home depot for Mortons @ $4 a bag (instead of 10 bucks a bag pool store wanted) LOL and 290lbs later pool was generating salt again and I am at 3600PPM.

Got a wild hair and decided to tear down the Jandy DE filter for the first time (up until this time I was backwashing when pressure was +10psi from clean)

OMG, what an experience. There must have been 45lbs of caked on DE in the grids. I took it all apart, hosed it all down, there was no need for chemical (acid bath) on the grids so I put it all back together and it looked brand new.

Re added the DE and the water is better than it ever has been!

Recently found out how to get the main drains to work by adjusting the diverter in the skimmer.

Oh, funny story.

Our pool builder did an EXCELLENT JOB, however they forgot ONE very important detail of the pool.

They forgot to put the skimmer weir on the skimmer. For 1.5 years we were wondering why the surface of the pool wasn't getting clean until I found this piece of plastic sitting on top of our Jandy breaker box and circuit board panel.

Looked like something I had seen in other pools so I "installed" it and the skimmer has been working properly ever since then!

Amazing that one little piece of plastic can do.

Tim, welcome to TFP!!

Quite a tale you tell :goodjob: Sounds like you've got a good pool and system (once debuged)

If you haven't already, check out Pool School (linked in my sig) - LOTS of great advice all in one place :mrgreen: Also, I wrote a use and care guide for De filters last year here which tells why you found so much DE in the filter, and how to prevent it from happening again :-D

Again, welcome aboard :salut: -- we'll be here to help if you need it!

Cool beans.

I read almost all of your posts over at the "other" pool forum with great interest.

Already read your DE filter cleaning tips and I will definitely look them up when I have to acid wash the elements.

So far so good, but that's what I would expect from a just turned 2 year old complete remodel.

Thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to becoming an active contributor here based on my limited knowledge, but voracious appetite for researching things that interest me.