DIY or Contractor

So, we had an AGP for two seasons until the wall rusted between liner and wall at skimmer and split, wrecking the whole pool. That pool was installed by an installer hired by the pool store we purchased it from. We went last season with no pool and now we're ready for another. The pool we had was a round 32'x54" and we had a large deck built half way around the perimeter. We've priced new pools from local pool stores and they are asking roughly $5,000 for just the pool not including install.

What's the best place to buy an AGP online, what's the best brand, and we'd like opinions on the difficulty of doing it ourselves. We'd like another 32'x54", resin, with a good liner....our sand filter and pump were spared and salvaged from the wreckage.

Where are you located?

When I bought my pool, I bought the local stores "demo" pool about Labor day. As for the best price? I would say dtermine which pool you want (by manufacturer if you can) and look for a bare bones price. I was lucky in that I got a great deal from a reputable dealer. In owning it for ten years, I have learned that most pools are manufactured by Doughboy, Asahi (most private labeled) and Wilbar. In looking up resources, I fund this article that in reading, I would agree wit much of what is being said here, but is seems to have some sales pitch bias but not bad. LINK

I would find your manufacturer, and then the pool... then the liner. It seems some places will bury a high margin item in the middle of quote. You don't need much more than the pool and liner. You don't need pump/filter/ladder... The base cove and ground matt are items you can shop for separately.

Don't pinch your pennies too hard. Buy a quality product and save over time.

I'd buy a pool from poolsupply world ever day of the week if I had the money!

Two seasons! I would have that pool laying in somebody's parking lot! Good luck in your search for a new pool.

By the time it crashed there was no parking lot, the guy filed bankruptcy, was arrested, and was found guilty of nine cases of theft and consumer fraud....which included us. Far as I know, no one ever saw a dime of restitution.

Here's a link to the thread with pics of the wreckage. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/66002-AGP-Catastrophic-Failure-Pics

Wow! That's nuts! Would've been a fun ride if you were on a float I bet! At least he got some of what was coming to him for screwing people over like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that's what you call fun... That gushing water pushed his sand filter, pump, and the pad into the woods. If someone was in the pool, they could have been killed.

Washed pump, sand filter, concrete pads and grass down into the woodline.

If that's what you call fun... That gushing water pushed his sand filter, pump, and the pad into the woods. If someone was in the pool, they could have been killed.

I just saw the picture and thought about the videos of rednecks cutting an intex pool and surfing through the yard. Obviously it wouldn't be fun tumbling with the filter through the woods. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enough force to snap sch40 pvc like a twig when it washed away the sand filter and pump.

I wasn't going to replace it after seeing what could happen. After a season off, I know this is probably something that would never happen twice to even 1 out of 1000, and I have a nearly 5k deck sitting there that's good for nothing except a pool and to big to move. So, I'm on the hunt and really wanting to just do it myself....with some help of course.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think it will be easy to install the new pool yourself. By far the hardest part is the site preparation. You site is all set. The ground is level and everything is ready for the pool including the deck.

As far as install, I helped uninstall mine at the store and then moved it home and set it up with the help of my brother. It took most of the day but it was not overly difficult. Grading and site prep are by far the hardest work.

In what I read you answered your own question (indirectly) in the second sentence.why would you put yourself through that again, Beer and equipment rental are far less expensive and YOU know the install is right and to your specifications.
If you say you don't have time, when do you have time to play in pool!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.