Pool Equipment Recommendations, Please!

Mar 30, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Hello! I'm in the processing of purchasing my first above ground pool. Right now, I'm pretty set on ordering Sharkline Matrix 24' round with 54" walls above ground pool (about 15,000 gallons, right?). I'd also like a cartridge filter system. I'm going to hire a pool installer to put the whole thing in. I live in Cleveland, so I also want a heater to increase the swim season.

Right now, I'm just looking to figure out what sizes and brands of other items I would need (I'd like to order everything online if possible, though I'm also considering going with a package at my local Great Escape if they offer comparable products). Any help on the items below would be very welcome!

• Filter – recommendations for the right size for a cartridge filter system and any good brand recommendations?
  • Pump – size/speed and brand recommendations as well?
  • Heater – I'm looking at either a Raypak or Pentair (125,000 BTU - 150,000 BTU) natural gas. Thoughts? Specific model recommendations?

Is there anything I'm missing that I absolutely need to start the pool up (besides a liner and skimmer)?

Thanks so much!

PS – This may be really stupid question, but I'm assuming that any filter or heater or pump will fit with any pool? Like the hookup system is universal, right?

Welcome, and I'll just take one of these.

If you are going to manage the chemistry on your own, a good test kit and some time in pool school will be essential, and of great benefit to you and your pool. Enjoy your time on TFP! :goodjob:

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

+1 on the test kit ... that is extremely important

Filter: I would suggest around 200 sqft or larger. Any major brand.
Pump: 1 HP 2-speed. Many members like the Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
Heater: Get the Raypak (great reviews). The biggest you can afford and your gas line will support ... allows you to heat faster.

There is no issue with mix-and-match equipment as far as pump/filter/heater.

One note, Pentair may extend the warranty to 3 years if you buy 3 pieces of equipment at the same time from the same person. But, I am not sure if this applies to online purchases and/or DIY installs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.