Cloudy Water

reduca

Aug 10, 2009
Broken Arrow, OK
I just recently opened my 13,000 gallon plaster pool in Northeastern Oklahoma. I got it all cleaned up, water was balanced and crystal clear. Yesterday I added some, what turned out to be old (year or two) descale liquid to the pool, and now the water is cloudy. I tested the water again and everything is within normal ranges. Should I shock the water? Will that clear up the cloudiness?

Welcome to the forum!

I truly hate starting out this way with you, so I apologize for a rough start. One of our tenants is not putting anything in your pool you don't fully know the results of. Sorry this happened but I'm not sure what will clear this up right off the top of my head.

What you and we call shocking are probably pretty different things. We use shock levels of Chlorine, but it's a process instead of an event or single action. We call it a SLAM procedure, but I'm not sure that is your answer. Do you have a test kit, and if so, what type? We will want to have some numbers in order to offer you the correct and best advice.

I just recently opened my 13,000 gallon plaster pool in Northeastern Oklahoma. I got it all cleaned up, water was balanced and crystal clear. Yesterday I added some, what turned out to be old (year or two) descale liquid to the pool, and now the water is cloudy. I tested the water again and everything is within normal ranges. Should I shock the water? Will that clear up the cloudiness?

If you had the water all "balanced" you say, why did you add something called "descale liquid" (I don't even know what that is??) Perhaps a few days of filtering will clear it up, I dunno?
A truly balanced pool doesn't need extra potions and lotions. We believe in proper testing (not pool store free testing" of water to determine what is needed and what is NOT needed, so that we only add the minimum of chemicals to our pools. Do you have a proper test kit?

The chemical in question is Natural Chemistry's Scale Free. I've been using it to prevent scaly buildup on the tile at water level, and have never had the water react like this. I just wonder if it had "soured" or something, although it had not discolored or anything.

I also use a TF-100 Test kit and purchase new refills each year, along with a Taylor salt test kit. As I recall, the results from my testing last night were as follows:

FC = 4.5
CC = 0
TC = 4.5
TA = 90
CH = 350
CYA = 60
Salt = 3200
Temp = 56
PH = 7.5

As far as shock, I usually use Leslie's Chlor Brite (Dichlor-S-Trianzinetrione). I'll give it a few days and see if the water clears up. If not, I'll hit it with a bag of the Chlor Brite. In the meantime, I'll re-read the Trouble Free Pool method of balancing the water.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Why "a bag of chlor-brite"? Is that the amount that PoolMath calculates to achieve a certain FC level? What FC level are you trying to achieve?

You have the best tool for pool maintenance, the TF-100, but I feel at this point you may not be using that tool to it full effectiveness since it appears you may not have fully grasped the chemistry and the methods we teach.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

I have an SWG to sanitize my pool. The only reason I use granules to "shock" the pool is that I read long ago that using the SWG to super chlorinate or boost chlorine levels, reduces the lifespan of the SWG. Granular shock is inexpensive compared to the cost of a new salt cell. It obviously isn't the best method though, so maybe I should rethink my procedures. Thanks for the advice.

If the SWG is maintaining adequate FC, there is no need to ever have to "shock" the pool. And if you did need to SLAM the pool, often it is cheaper to just use bleach or liquid chlorine and better due to the lack of side-effects.

If your case, the CYA happens to be a little low, so the use of Dichlor is fine ... but a blind "shock" of 1 bag is not likely to achieve much.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for updating your profile BTW :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.