Intex Sand Filter Pump. Backwash/Rinse/Waste Question

Jun 19, 2014
San Jacinto CA
Hello so I have a new intex 2650 sand filter up and filtering, but I am still not sure on the Backwash and Rinse Procedure.

I am very confused as to do with the waste cap and in/out knobs to the pool, do I leave them open because when I open the waste plug the pool basically drains or do I backwash with the system closed and then open it up to rise?

Can someone please post the procedure to back-washing and rinsing the sand filter pump, vacuuming to waste procedure would be nice as well.

Thanks

Travis McClean

You are going to lose water when you backwash the filter and when you rinse it. Backwashing sends pool water through the filter backwards to remove all the stuff has collected. Rinse runs water through the filter the normal way. You must rinse the filter for a decent amount of time or the stuff will stay in the filter and go back into your pool when you return to the filter position.

You should only backwash when your filter pressure rises a few Psi and/or you notice reduced pressure at the return jet.

Through the forum, I found that backwashing for one minute and rinsing for one minute, continue this cycle for three rounds, cleans my filter and no stuff blows back into the pool.

If I have a bad algae outbreak, I extend the cycle but I will have to stop and add water to the pool because the level will drop below the skimmer.

Vacuum to waste does the same as far as your level. It dumps the water in the ground or wherever your filter hose is directed. Every drop that goes out during backwash, rinse, and filter to waste drops the pool level and you will need to refill the pool.

Here is a link but I am sure there is something in Pool School that covers this topic.
http://www.swimuniversity.com/how-to-operate-sand-filter-multiport-valve/

Thank you, I'll leave the system open during these processes, I get for the rinse and waste you need to get rid of the water, but in the videos I have seen it doesn't seem like they are dealing with the pool draining during the backwash phase.

Thanks for clarifying the issue.

I've found you sometimes need to backwash even if your pressure doesn't rise. Mine got so dirty it wasn't keeping the pool clean, yet the pressure never rose. I backwashed (man, it was dirty!) and it cleared it right up. Most people seem to backwash a few times a season.

I've found you sometimes need to backwash even if your pressure doesn't rise. Mine got so dirty it wasn't keeping the pool clean, yet the pressure never rose. I backwashed (man, it was dirty!) and it cleared it right up. Most people seem to backwash a few times a season.

Does your pressure gauge work? I have heard intex pressure gauges tend to fail over time.

Does your pressure gauge work? I have heard intex pressure gauges tend to fail over time.

Good question, I think it does. Certainly it responds when I attach the vacuum. But it's possible it won't go up, only down. But I saw this advice from one of the most experienced commenters here so I think it might have some validity. Doesn't hurt to backwash a couple times a year anyway.

Good question, I think it does. Certainly it responds when I attach the vacuum. But it's possible it won't go up, only down. But I saw this advice from one of the most experienced commenters here so I think it might have some validity. Doesn't hurt to backwash a couple times a year anyway.

You're right about backwashing. I get a little worried when my pressure doesn't change and it has been a month since the last backwash.

Part of that could be the gauge not working correctly. The other part could be a combination of a pump that can't really build a lot of head pressure, or a gauge that isn't super sensitive so you could tell a pound or two increase. I just replaced my gauge today. The old one was ugly, but it worked last year. Apparently there was water in it that froze over the winter and destroyed it. If you ever need to backwash because of slow water return to the pool, I would check the gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.