Pressure gauge reading 0 psi

Aug 29, 2008
Pensacola, Fl
My wife noticed the pressure gauge reading 0 psi a couple of days ago. No visible water leaks, good flow thru skimmer, and thru jets back into pool. I had her change the cartridge filter (I am half way around the world right now) and still 0 psi. Looking down into the pump basket thru the clear cover, the water filled less than half the basket.

About a year ago, we had renters that ran the pump dry, and it got hot enough to melt some of the PVC fittings. Back in April 2008 when I was home, I replaced the pump motor and all the o-rings, and some of the PVC fittings that I could get to easily.

My wife has called 3 pool companies in the local area, and all said they were too busy to come check out a pump.

Any ideas on causes and / or a fix??

Thanks
Jeff

A few things to check: Strainer basket lid loose or the gasket is bad or needs lubed. Water level in pool to low. Valve left in wrong position after vacuuming.

I see some contradictions here, If you have good flow thru the skimmer and have good return
flow at the jets than you have pressure and as Dave said the gauge is bad.
Now if the gauge is zero and the pump skimmer basket is half full it would be plausable that you actually have zero pressure,
however you would not have good skimmer flow or good return flow.I don't believe you can have both conditions.
Now if it is the first condition you'll be fine until you replace the gauge, just keep a visual on the system flows.
If it's the later the pump may have lost it's prime,some times my skimmer door sticks and drys out the pump and looses prime.
make sure the door is not the stuck closed.
If you have a bottom drain set the valve to 100% bottom drain position, this should restore prime
If this dosen't work, leave the valve set at drain, shut the pump,open the basket,pour a bucket of water in the basket,let it
spill over this will fill the plumbing as best possible,replace the cover
and restart the pump.
And don't forget to bleed the filter

jb :monkey:

JohnT said:
A few things to check: Strainer basket lid loose or the gasket is bad or needs lubed. Water level in pool to low. Valve left in wrong position after vacuuming.

Thanks everyone,

The basket lid gasket was replaced back in April this year, and lubed quite well. My wife says she can not open it, so I assume it is snug. Water level is in the skimmer box. She has had to drain the pool several times in the last 6 weeks because of TS Faye and other rain storms in the area. She has not had to add water since May. As for the vacuum, we use a Pool Buster which does not connect to the pump and filter system.

I will have her try the other suggestions. I replaced the original gauge about a year ago because the yard boy broke it. I sure hope it is something as simple as loss of prime and a bad gauge.

Thanks again. Any other ideas, please let me know.

UPDATE!! Culprit was the grease knob on the drain / skimmer selector valve just before the pump had worked loose enough to suck air in. Pressure gauge working fine, and pump basket is full of water when selector is set to pull water thru bottom drains only. Thank you all.

BUT, when the drain / skimmer selector is set to pull water thru the skimmer only, no water comes to the pump. Skimmer line clogged? Unclog with garden hose?

It sounds like the valve in question is at fault. Is it a 3-way valve that has a grease fitting? Can you select to pull water both from skimmers and main drain simultaneously? Do you have a pic?

Clog is always a possibility and a drain king will usually find it.

UPDATE 2.... IT'S FIXED!!! clear cover on pump basket was not snug enough.

Don't ask me why it was working when selector was on drains and not when on skimmer. I do not know, as I am half way around the world. :lol: My wife found a company, Crystal Pools, that sent someone out right away. :goodjob: snugged down the cover, all works fine. no clogs, good pressure. NO CHARGE!!!! :thequeen:

Thank You all. :cheers: same great people from the other forum, with new ones added

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.