Tensioner bands on suction side line?

May 24, 2012
Auburn, AL
Hey Folks,

Springtime pump/motor changeout in progress. While committed to conducting PVC work, I figured I would address another problem.

I've always had some sort of suction side problem with this pool. Most of the time it's OK with just a tiny amount of bubbles. However, sometimes the suction leak gets so bad the pump loses prime.

So I dug up the suction/intake line and found two adjacent metal tensioner bands on the horizontal side of the intake line just before the 90 turn to vertical at the pumping station.

I made a video and put it on FB. Here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10102851857721131&l=68091871085916052

If you have any comments, please share.

Thanks,
McFlubbin

That looks like flexible black poly pipe, which uses barbed fittings with hose clamps like those on the outside. Those connections can be very finicky sometimes, but once you get a good seal will usually stay sealed for a long time.

Black poly was much more common about 20 years ago, compared to these days.

That looks like flexible black poly pipe, which uses barbed fittings with hose clamps like those on the outside. Those connections can be very finicky sometimes, but once you get a good seal will usually stay sealed for a long time.

Black poly was much more common about 20 years ago, compared to these days.

Thanks!

Can I assume the flexible black poly pipe runs all the way back to the skimmer?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.