VeNoMz

Feb 2, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Looking to get some clarification here, since I seem to be unable to source the info I need. I bought the house a year ago, never owned a pool - learned everything from TFP :)

I can't seem to find any insight on the way this Jandy valve is situated. I'd like to think my plumbing is relatively layman's (compared to other setups), but i'm not 100% on the valve's orientation. In my opinion, it doesn't seem like I have a position to full drain or full skimmer. I thought the valve might have been stuck/defective, since it wouldn't turn past a certain point, but it appears to line up with the stoppers.

Additionally, the skimmer basket appears to only have 1 line, not 2 (I believe the 2nd is referred to as an equializer valve?).

Additionally, there doesn't seem to be any difference in the amount of water pulled from the skimmer either way the valve is situated. I learned that leaving it in the middle is effectively the "OFF" position. The other two, i'm not so sure. Take a look at the pics and let me know - thanks!

foiyqd.jpg

1zoaih1.jpg

33wpegy.jpg

2zgemg8.jpg

a3m9t0.jpg

nzfznt.jpg

It looks like that valve may have been setup in a non-standard way. With a stock valve, all of those positions are at least partially off, i.e. blocking at least some portion of the water flow. A stock valve should never go into any of those positions. The standard way it should work is with the handle pointing at the filter, which would be draw water equally from both sides.

It shouldn't be too difficult to remove the handle, which disengages the movement stops, turn the valve 180 degrees with a wrench, and then reattach the handle so it has a more normal movement range. Some brands require you to disassemble the valve a little further than that, by removing the eight screws, but I don't think that is one of those.

Heh, I suppose that explains why I wasn't able to source any specific info on my situation.

The valve is a Jandy, i'm sure i'll be able to source a schematic (if need be) once I locate a part number. The fix seems relatively straight forward, i'll take a look at it and report back with any findings.

Great insight - thanks for the quick reply, Jason!

With that valve, you remove the handle by taking the black thumbscrew out of the top of the handle and then the handle just lifts off... When the valve is in the position of your first pic, you shouldn't have any flow to your pump...

If I'm not mistaken, the handle on Jandy valves cannot be put on in a different position. The splines are not symmetrical. I think the reason the valve handle isn't positioned correctly is the entire center section, with it's multiple screws, was screwed together in a rotated position.

Looked at this again and realized that my post was in error from reading things wrong. As others have said you need to remove the handle AND THEN rotate the valve stem with a pliers 180 degrees, and then reinstall the handle. It should only fit back on with the long portion of the handle aimed towards your filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.