WHY Did You Find TFP?

Why Did you Seek Out TFP/Pool Forums

• Total voters

Patrick_B

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2011
Midland TX
Inspired buy ComputerguyNOLA's thread I wanted to ask everyone specfically why you sought out TFP/Pool Forums. Please share the story about what brought you here in the first place. Please vote on what is closest to your reason for coming, and by all means share if it's something not listed to vote on.

This is not a public poll, so no one can see your results. Please share! :cheers:

I had some narrow questions regarding pool chemistry specifics, and I like going to forums for answers in many situations. I was interested in building as well, so that's how I found it.

We had our pool installed in 2004. This was our first pool and we knew nothing about taking care of one. No worry though, the company that installed it also has a retail store where we could get our water tested for free and the "experts" there would tell us exactly what to do. Had their advice worked, I probably would have continued using them not knowing there was a better and much cheaper way out there.

Well, after a few years of following their advice, I got tired of dumping money and time into the pool and hit the Internet to try to educate myself. That led me to the Pool Forum where I learned the error of my ways and was put on the right track. Needless to say pool ownership became much cheaper and enjoyable!

Recently the Pool Forum went down for some unknown reason (it came back up recently). A few Internet searches led me here.

So here I am anxious for another pool season to start and happy that forums like this are here for support. :D

I'm just one of those nutty people that wanted to learn how to take care of and properly maintain water chemistry......... BEFORE............ I put a pool in. Sorry, no sad story of ever being pool stored here.

We had small intex pools for the kids for many years, put em up in spring take em down in fall. Float pucks in them and if the water turned green drain it and refill it. Then we got a big intex ultra with SWCG and it became a lot more work. I never liked the pool store even before it was cool not to like the pool store. The ones around here have cocky dingbats working there who were all really annoying. So, I bought most chemicals at Lowes and alternated between the trial and error and drain and refill methodology of pool care.

Then we decided to build a gunite pool. I was looking at pool builds online just cuz it is cool and interesting and I wanted to see what was next in our build process. I was also researching different pool care methods and looking at alternate sanitizer options. We ended up staying with SWCG because it became apparent that there is no real alternative to a chlorine pool and that chlorine pools really aren't going to poison us anyway. Which is really good news because I get in the pool or hot tub almost every day year round.

So, during all the reading and googling a nice recurring theme was TFP. By far the best, most consistent and logical source of information. We eased into TFPing and doing some real water testing and things started getting easier and better. We started up our second season with the new pool full-tilt TFP boogie and our pool has been crystal clear sparkly easy peasy lemon squeezy ever since. We are entering our 4th season right now and the pool is ready to go, all it needs is some heat.

I was also able to research, buy and install some solar panels for the pool on TFP And the next year I figured out that I needed a solar controller. Did more research on TFP bought and installed the Solartouch. We also bought a stand alone hot tub a year ago and maintain that with bleach. I am a true blue TFP loyal follower. I haven't been on another pool forum or website in several years. Somewhere in the middle of that I became a TFP Platinum supporter.

TFP rocks!

I found TFP while looking for pool pics when I was in the research phase. When I first got here as a guest, I couldnt see any pics, but didnt know you had to register to see them.
And I HATE registering on websites. So I didnt, and I went away.

Fast forward a few months tiall the pool was almost done and water went in. The thought came to be about what am I supposed to do to take care of the pool water ? It was gonna me up to me learn, because there was no one around to teach me. Have friends with pools that go green, and whatever they told me went in one ear and out the other. If I had wanted a green pool I would have listened to them... ... ...

So i went internet searching again, and google said "TFP, TFP, TFP.... , and so I registered. Lo and Behold, there were the pics I was looking for! LOL.

So anyways..that's how it went. And here I am.

I found this site last year about a month before we closed on our house and pool. We had a little ring top intex and a hot tub at another house about 7 years ago. I usually bought the supplies at Walmart or the pool store. I remember buying $80 worth of hot tub stuff at the pool store one time, and the hot tub never was fun or easy. It was always on the verge of being messed up for some reason or another. The previous owner had used chlorine tablets in the tub, and stored them under the sink. All the hinges on the cabinet were rusted so I decided I would use bromine. Never had a clue what I was doing. When we got the pool I followed the directions on all the **** I bought at Walmart. It was always a pain. The little cartridge filter was always dirty. The pool got green several times. I would just drain it and start the cycle over again of using test strips, adding what it said, and never understanding what was going on. I now research things absolutely to death to learn everything possible about what I'm getting into. We try to live a clean, chemical free natural lifestyle; which is ironic because I work at a chemical plant. We had been looking at natural pools that use a separate ecological filter pond basically. It would literally be a "cement pond" like the Beverly hillbillies talk about. We were both convinced that chlorine is bad because we don't like chemicals, and my moms pool always burnt my eyes and completely ruined a pair of red swim shorts I had a couple years ago. We used a pool at the local country club a couple years in a row, and my kids got pin worms. That's the only place we could have imagined the transfer could take place because they just don't go that many places. All those things got me looking for the best, cleanest, safest pool maintenance techniques. I just happened to stumble onto this site last year, and it was like finding a pot of gold in the middle of a pasture. **** everywhere around except for right here in this pot of gold site. I swam a few dozen times last summer after we moved in, and my swim shorts look just like the day I bought them. I'm working to get my mom off pristine blue, and testing and maintaining her pool the tfp way. A friend of my wife has an agp that is always a pain, so I'm gonna try to show her the light also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got tired of seeing our pool ****before it was given to us****being either green or milky white. Pool owner also got tired of it, and gave it to us. I knew there had to be a better way, so online I went.

Landed first at PoolForum, learned a lot there. Problems started to creep in over there, so more searching brought me here.

I'm basically lazy, so the TFP method works well for me. Gee, would that be why I was getting a slight green tinge this spring? Too lazy to test that icy water! a couple gallons of bleach, and it's crystal clear again!

When we set up our pool we knew we wanted a SWG. The place we bought the kit from was willing to sell the SWG but said it ruined the warrenty and wouldn't give us any more info. Went to our local pool store and they looked like we were crazy because we were asking questions about a SWG and then mentioned it was a 23000 gall AGP and they were like we don't know anything about those we usually do IG chlorine pools. I didn't have anywhere left to turn until I found this site!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With out much warning or preparation, we literally "picked up" a free AG pool from our neighbors 2 doors down (got 7 people to carry the wall out of their yard, down the driveway, to our property, up our driveway, into our backyard and wrapped it around a tree). Then went on vacation. Came back and started to dig the hole. Took all summer and next spring then put it up filled it and had a great summer with the pool and the pool store. :whoot:
The following spring and summer started having problems with balancing the pool chemicals and getting "pool stored" but corrected. It was that 3rd year that nothing the pool store told us worked. Could not get rid of the cloudy water no matter what I did, and I followed the pool store's advice to the letter. They then said it was from too much calcium and I would need to drain it. Drained part way and it still did not clear up. :brickwall:
I decided there had to be a better way and went searching. Found TFP and slowly followed the advice, trying to mix pool store and TFP. A couple of times did what the pool guy told me and have regretted it. :hammer: FYI: TFP and pool store advice DO NOT mix.
Let me tell you, I cut the cord with the pool store. No compromise, no turning back, no pool store advice. :p I only go there for chlorine when on sale, pool hoses, brushes and pool toys. :swim:

:lovetfp:

I'm just one of those nutty people that wanted to learn how to take care of and properly maintain water chemistry......... BEFORE............ I put a pool in. Sorry, no sad story of ever being pool stored here.

Mine is very similar. I had purchased a home in the early winter and wanted to be prepared for the next season when I opened. I have a chemistry background and like doing things my way (which sometimes means the right way) while also being budget conscious about chemical usage. TFP is perfect for that. Best thing I've ever found on the internet and certainly infinitely more useful than lolcat videos.

We wanted a house with a pool so I jumped online and started looking up proper care for a pool. That brought me here where I lurked for a while and read nearly everything in pool school. I enjoy being able to fix and maintain my own things, and I like to understand why I am doing something, and knowing how things work. Just a natural curiosity that I have. When we knew we were going to close on our house, that's when I signed up. Pool water has always been clear since we've been here!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.