Choosing the right timer

MDP

May 17, 2013
My timer is no longer working. I got two 101M Intermatic timers (one 120v and the other 240v) -- but found that none of them is the right match.

I am guessing this is 103M (which is no longer in production, but available on eBay/Amazon etc.) -- but looking into the photos of 103M, the wiring looks somewhat different. [in my timer the two wires from the motor go to pins 2 a& 4 from left, but in the 103M picture on eBay etc. they go pins 1 & 2).

The model # on the timer is E10694 (both the Intermatic timers that I got have this number).

I am attaching couple of photos (including photo of the timer, wiring, motor in the back etc.). Can anybody please let me know which model exactly should I buy?

BTW: I checked the voltage (between pins 2 and 4 from right) and this is 120v.

Thanks in advance.

-MDP

Thank you JasonLion for your response. The wiring is exactly same as Intermatic 104; however 104 is 240v, but mine is 120v; that is the caveat.................................

My guess is that they were originally regular 104s, but at some point someone switched the timer motor for the 120 volt version of the timer motor.

If that is indeed a 120 volt setup, it is wired incorrectly. The white wire should not be switched on a 120 volt setup.

Have you measured the voltage? The wire colors say 120 volts, but the timer terminal layout and wiring plan say 240 volts.

Thanks again JasonLion. Yes, I did measure the voltage and this is indeed 120v (between the two motor wires)!

Do you think this will work if I replace the timer with T104? Does a 240v timer work on 120v set up?

Great. So here is my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong:

Tie both the white wires and connect them on the left most pin (currently no wires attached to this) [2nd picture from top]
Connect the left black wire on pin # 2 (from left)
Connect the right black wire on pin #3 (from left)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.