Help identifying what's going on with pool plumbing set up

Mar 28, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Got a new pool and am trying to figure out a few things. The pool has an in ground cleaning system. I've attached a diagram and identified what I've gathered. There are two things I am not understanding - can someone let me know how it works?

1) The pool is set up for a side pressure cleaner (number 4 on diagram). In the deck opening, there is a hole in the top pointing towards the pool, another one at the bottom, a leaf canister in the middle with a glass disk on top. There is just one hole exiting into the pool. At the bottom there is a pipe that shoots water when the number 4 valve is turned near the pump/filter. The way I understand pressure cleaners, the water shoots out into the pool and propels the cleaner, which moves around and collects leaves into its own leaf bag. So why is there a large leaf canister in the opening? It seems like it should be collecting leafs from something coming from that top hole, but if there is water being shot out to propel the cleaner, how would the leaves ever make it there? It can't shoot water and suck leafs in at the same time, right? My one thought is that perhaps they are linked to a main drain at the bottom, but those do not seem to be working. Any ideas how this setup works and where the leafs are supposed to be coming from to land in that leaf canister.

2) There are three drains at the bottom. Neither one seems to be sucking under any setting. I put a drain king into the hole in the skimmer that is not going to the pump (see diagram on the right) and running water through the hose, I was able to see water come out out the bottom drain, but only a bit. The water is not coming out of the other two drains. Also, I am not sure what the 3 drains are doing there - the one in the middle looks kind of like the jets used by the in ground cleaning system, so I am assuming it's for that. Perhaps 2 of the 3 drains are clogged up, but I can't figure out where to clean them from. Any idea how where the 3 drains might be leading? Could one be connected to the side pressure cleaning leaf basket somehow?

Let me know if anyone can enlighten me. Thanks!

Attachments

• pool diagram small.jpg
    pool diagram small.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 119
Welcome to TFP!

The leaf canister is most likely for two of the three drains, and was simply placed close to the cleaner port. If you open up the canister it might be possible to run the drain king from there towards the pool and see if water (or anything else) comes out of one of those drains.

Did you make any progress on this yet?

I did a lot of research on in-floor cleaning systems before I built my pool so I might be able to help you out. Somewhere, I imagine, you should have a manifold for the in-floor cleaning jets. Can you locate this and find out what manufacturer made your system?

It appears you pool is simular to mine. #4 should have a cover that is spring loaded. That is where you put the vacuum line. in order to get suction to that opening you must open the clear cover (plastic, not glass) and plug the opening on the side where you see the water rushing in. Mine is threaded and I believe it uses a 1 inch headed plug. by plugging that hole it forces the suction away from drain and to vacuum hose. Good luck. email with questions

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.