Jul 8, 2014
Lodi Ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello All,
I wanted to thank everyone on my previous post for providing information on the depths of the water for the Intex pools. We have decided to go with a new 18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame Pool. I have been reading this forum for the past 4 years when I got our first Ring Pool. I have been using the BBB Method for the last 2 years which has really helped, Last year I purchased the TF100 Kit and speed stir and actually had allot of fun learning to use it and recording my results, the CYA test still gives me a bit of a problem but I will keep working on it. I have read every forum that I could find on the site about the pool installation and other posts, and I am now just beginning the process. Current status: Taken down the old Ring Pool, purchased my 2x4x10 for leveling (also great in determining if the pool will fit in the location that we have), removed the sand that I used last year under the ring pool (Planning on using the same sand this year). This coming week I will continue the site prep ... I have attached a picture. I have a few questions in regards to the site prep:

I am planning: (The order is listed below)
1. Leveling ground
2. Adding the small amount of sand that I currently have (should be not more that an 1" or so for the pool
3. Foam Sheets for insulation
4. Gorilla Pad
5. Tarp that comes with pool or HD Tarp (advice needed)
6. Pool Liner

Is this a good ground prep order or should I consider other options? I will use stone pavers for the legs which brings me to my next question: Does the Foam insulation, Gorilla Pad, and Tarp go on top of the Pavers or Do they go just interior of the pavers? I am assuming that the legs and the bottom of the pool liner have to be at the same level as to keep the pool from having sags in the liner?

Any help would be appreciated. This will take me a while to get completed with Kids in Soccer, Baseball, Work and basic life ...

Typically when using foam sheets you only use a tiny amount of sand, just enough for final leveling. Sand can shift, so you only want to use the minimum amount that gets the job done. Also, when using a gorilla pad, you don't generally also use a tarp.

Thanks Jason,
So I will amend and take out the tarp. The sand in the picture was from my old 15' Ring Pool, I will use just enough for the final leveling. Still need help with the pavers ... I have never had a steel frame (Ultra Frame) pool.

I will use stone pavers for the legs which brings me to my next question: Does the Foam insulation, Gorilla Pad, and Tarp go on top of the Pavers or Do they go just interior of the pavers? I am assuming that the legs and the bottom of the pool liner have to be at the same level as to keep the pool from having sags in the liner?

Check out my Polygroup vs Intex pool thread to see how I did mine, I opted not to use the pavers, and used a crushed stone base, no sand and I am very happy with the results, we had a very wet winter and spring and the pool did not shift a bit. Good luck and keep us posted.

When using the pavers I would recommend digging down and then putting some crusher run or crushed limestone under the pavers.

Wet the crusher run and compact well, place your paver on the compacted crusher run, and level it with the rest of the foundation.

This should keep the pavers from sinking and will support the uprights very well.

Most pool builders I have spoken with are using the crusher as a base now, and then using the foam under the pool instead of sand, they say it makes for less problems down the road "washout" and make a perfect pool bottom.

Just remember your foundation is the MOST important part of the build, take your time and do it right. I did NOT the first time and ended up doing it all over again.

Does the Foam insulation, Gorilla Pad, and Tarp go on top of the Pavers or Do they go just interior of the pavers? I am assuming that the legs and the bottom of the pool liner have to be at the same level as to keep the pool from having sags in the liner?

Still need to finish prep work but the pool is here. Notice the second picture, the box states "New dual outlet suction fittings improve water circulation resulting in better water hygiene and clarity"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have made a few changes to the plan, I am going to use the Pink Insulation Foam Sheets, I was going to use a Gorilla Pad but now I thinking that using the Gorilla Pad would be overkill and not necessary. My main goal for the pool base is Smooth Bottom, Weed Protection (I don't have many weeds, last year under my Ring Pool nothing grew under the pool with just a tarp and some sand) and a little insulation to minimize some of the heat loss. Any comments on just using the insulation vs. the insulation and Gorilla Pad?

- - - Updated - - -

LOL, I hope he is saying Marco ...

I went to the Home Depot, Lowes and 2 local lumber places, no one stocks XPS insulation sheets. Home Depot had EPS sheets which could be a problem with moisture. Has anyone used EPS sheets?

I used one-inch foam, foil side up and while it isn't a big deal, I don't really like it and would not do it again unless I was on cracked concrete or something like that. Gorilla pad would be what I would want to try next, no foam. I put the legs on the foam in a few spots and on dirt in most others, a brick paver under just one of them. My pool is not as level as I would like and I need to lower 4 or 5 legs about a half to a full inch.

Decided for the pump and filter to go with

http://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/pools/res-filter-systems-abg/easy-clear-a-syeasy--1

I read allot of posts about making adaptors and today went to lowes and found

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/15751733138663197884

I purchased them and now I am going to look for some Intex hoses that I can fairly cheap so I can cut the hose to use the nuts. I want to keep my original hoses in case I need to use the original pump just in case or if I sell the pool and upgrade later. My plan will be to use the original Intex valves on the pool and add the adaptors and then use the hoses that come with the Hayward Pump.

When I did mine, I set the pavers and leveled the sand up to the pavers. I then put the pink foam board on top of the sand and the pavers. the pool legs crushed the foam slightly but evenly all the way around the pool. This also ensured the liner wouldn't rub on the pavers themselves. it worked out great that way for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.