skimmer to pump issue ????? help!!

Toekneejo

Platinum Supporter
Mar 10, 2015
Houston TX
My skimmer drains and begins to suck air whenever I have my pump on high. It runs fine on low but I am concerned because I am wanting to slam and then utilize the SWG and from time to time I will need to put it on high to go to 100%. I have changed out to a new filter because the other one needed a deep cleaning. I have cleaned it and am planning on storing it in a plastic bag and then alternate between the two, will this be a problem? Also any suggestions on the pump draining the skimmer is appreciated, thank you. Oops one more question..... I tried the skimmer sock and my husband was concerned that it might be part of the problem so he had me remove it, can anyone give me more info on the skimmer sock?

So, if you have good flow into the skimmer, it does it without a sock on it? Unless they are clogged, socks work fine.

If you do it sounds like you have too much pump. Is this a new pump on the pool? You mentioned another filter, but what about the pump?

Do you only have the one skimmer ? Is there a floor drain ? If have more than the one skimmer can you adjust to pull some water from another source too ?

I was looking at a Doughboy AGP about the same size and it has a floor drain and dual skimmers with a 2 HP pump.

There are two possible causes. Either the pool water level is too low, which seems unlikely given what you said, or the weir door (swinging door inside the skimmer) is stuck so that it doesn't move properly and is blocking the water flow.

Check the weir door and make sure it moves freely and there isn't any debris blocking the skimmer. If that doesn't help, try adding more water to the pool so that the water is 3/4 of the way up the skimmer opening.

You'd need to add a drain or an additional skimmer so you aren't taking all the water from the one skimmer. Not real practical but it is something you could do should you need to drain it in the future.
It does seem like a lot of surface area for one skimmer, just my opinion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree about the surface area of the pool versus one skimmer. How would a drain help? As for the weir door yes it is free flowing. We have talked about adding another skimmer and is something we could do if that would help.

LOL leave it to me to have a weird one! I have a waterway cartridge filter with a waterway hi-flo 2hp 2 speed pump and a widemouth waterway skimmer. I have replaced the filter and am not using the "skimmer sock" so as to not reduce flow. It runs fine on low. if I release air from the filter on low there is none. But if I place it on high it will drain the skimmer and then hesitate and allow the skimmer to catch up and then does it again resulting in a pulsating type action. It is all hard plumbed. After just a few minutes if you release the air in the filter it has a huge amount????? Please help if you have any ideas I am filling it to 3/4 of the skimmer now and will recheck.

What he said. We know it's 2hp but can you post the pumps specs or it's model number ??

If you had a drain you could use a valve or valves to control how much water you pull from each. Like both full open or or the second source (second skimmer or drain) open just enough that the main skimmer doesn't suck air.

Can you post a picture or two of the skimmer ??

For everyone following this thank you and yes I think additional water is going to fix it. In order for those "black spots" to be covered that is about 3/4 full but it seems to be able to keep up. So thank you!!!!! One last question does the drain go thru the pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.