TA - 200, is this why my pH seems to creep quickly?

Yori96

Feb 11, 2015
Red Deer, Alberta
So now that I have my pool manageable, still have to epoxy a leak so I am re-filling about 1/2" every 3-4 days (waiting for the pool to warm up lol) but currently while I top up ect, I can keep my CYA ~ 30 and my FC ~ 4 but my pH continuously skyrockets to well over 8.0 every few days, which to me seems a little absurd... When I started this whole process and had my water tested originally it was 100, than 165 and now testing it myself it's 200, I don't feel like replacing water works because I've been replacing water constantly over the last month so if the TA of the water coming out of my tap is clearly high (unless I'm missing something?) How else do you reduce it, or do I need to?

Well, you're on the right track for sure. Minus you putting something in that could increase your TA, it's coming from your tap. Test it and see.

I have the same issue with high TA makeup to my pool. Not much you can do about that if you're in the same boat. What you can do is lower it some, and work to keep it down. In Pool School, there is an article about lowering TA. Outside of a new makeup source there isn't anything else you can do. Pushing your TA down to the 60 range takes time, but getting and keeping it close to that as possible, will slow your pH rise.

The article I mention is in the How To Section of PS >Lowering Total Alkalinity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.