40yo indoor pool facelift

kokot

Dec 10, 2013
PA
Hello,
After having read this and other threads discussing pool painting I'm still not settled on what the best route is for me.
I have an indoor, 40 years old, concrete (or plaster) 15k gallon pool that is in a need of a face lift. The main problem is the chalking of the paint.
Given the pros and cons and cost benefits of paining vs. re-plastering I'm inclined to go the epoxy paint route. I don't mind doing it every few years as the pool is relatively small.
Local contractor quoted 5-6K to repaint it and I'm going to try DIY.
Do I need to treat the pool with muriatic acid before paining? Will power wash not be sufficient? I'm asking as I'm concerned with handling the acid, disposing of waste and vapors in a space with limited air ventilation.
Re: paint, I’m thinking about getting Dura Seal epoxy paint from Leslie’s. It’s rather pricey as it’s going to cost about $1,400 for the paint and primer. Has anyone here used it and/or recommend another brand?

Hi kokot,

The best alternative if it's possible for you is re plaster. The only con of doing so versus painting is that plaster will cost more. Painting isn't the best alternative, as it won't last no matter what type of paint you choose. I think the estimate you got for repaint is quite high. For your pool, that would pay for a significant portion of a re plaster here in the states.

If at all possible, re plaster the best route. If you paint over any old paint, it's likely to peel there first. If you can get the surface very clean it might be ok and hold some paint, but if there are scale deposits left behind at all, these will not do well painted most likely. That may be why they are adamant about the acid wash. You may get lucky, but don't expect the new paint job to hold up well beyond a few years or less.

Based on what I've read in various threads it appears that re-plastering is better alternative over paint, however it's more involved/expensive.
Now, I'm pondering whether re-plastering is something that can be done as DIY project. I' haven't done much research on the subject other than saw some videos. Has anyone here done it on your own? If so, can you share your experiences.

There are a couple of threads here on DIY plaster. Can't remember the details of them, but they were a lot of work! It is a pretty advanced DIY project for both skill and physical labor. Do an advanced search on DIY plaster and open up the date range to go back farther and you should be able to find a couple.

I'll be blunt. This isn't something you should do DIY with no experience. It takes knowledge and skill to do it correctly. I would not recommend anyone doing this without prior experience and knowledge.

Also, this is something they do in teams. Several people adding, trowelling and otherwise working the plaster all at once for a complete and seamless finish. Very difficult if not impossible to do that by yourself.

I wanted to give an update on the pool facelift. It was painted exactly a year ago with the epoxy paint from Leslie's.
Despite all the prep work including muriatic acid treatment and power washing the paint has started to bubble up on some spots. I need to mention that the paint odor was supper strong and I highly recommend taking frequent breaks unless it's an outdoor pool.
Would I do it again? Sure, even though the end result isn't perfect. Let's how how it's going to hold up in a long run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.