VS with larger motor

glenwill

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2009
Warrington, PA
I have been reading about the potential energy savings of a variable speed pump. My electric utility offers a $200 rebate, so that would help offset the cost.

My question is in how much that energy savings would be offset by the VSP being a larger pump? My current pump is a Pentair WhisperFlo WF-23, 3/4 horsepower pump, with a service factor of 1.27.

The Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed is a 3 HP pump. Will the much larger motor offset any savings I would have gotten? Pentair doesn't seem to have a variable speed 3/4 or 1 HP pump.

Glen

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Almost 5 years and finally posting :D

You could save money with the larger VS pump ... assuming you run it at a speed slow enough to lower your flow rate. But there are certainly smaller VS pumps that might make more sense ... even with a rebate, a 2-speed motor or pump might make more sense.

If you give us more information we will be able to offer suggestions.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you.

It turns out that larger VS pumps are more energy efficient than smaller ones, even at fairly low flow rates, despite the higher HP rating, actually because of the higher HP rating. However, they also cost a lot more up front. Depending on your electrical rates you may well never save enough to pay back the larger up front investment. For that matter, in most areas it is more economical to get a two speed pump instead of a VS pump.

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't posted in 5 years, because I can usually find whatever information I'm looking for by searching these forums. It's a wealth of great information.

I've updated my sig and profile. I'm in the Philadelphia, PA area.

What are some smaller VS pumps that are worth considering?

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't posted in 5 years, because I can usually find whatever information I'm looking for by searching these forums. It's a wealth of great information.

I've updated my sig and profile. I'm in the Philadelphia, PA area.

What are some smaller VS pumps that are worth considering?

That is great to hear Glen. Since you are here officially, Welcome to TFP! :cheers:

The MaxFlo VS is a good small VS pump to look at. As I mentioned previously, you will probably be better off by total lifetime cost with a two speed pump.

Thanks Jason. What 2-speed pumps would be worth looking at?

When I look on Amazon, I see 2-speed pumps running for $400-$700, and variable speed for $700-$800. It seems that after the $200 rebate, I'll be paying a similar price for a variable speed. Are there cheaper 2-speed pumps that will work for an in-ground pool?

For 2-speed, I see the Hayward SP3210EE, which is $529, and the Jandy FHPM 2.0 FloPro which is $369

For VS, I see the Hayward SP2302VSP, which is $648 ($448 after rebate), and the Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo for $877 (677 after rebate)

The Hayward VS seems to cost about the same as the 2-speeds, after my $200 rebate, which only applies to variable speed pumps.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, and I'll gladly get the 2-speed if it'll save money. I just want to see if I am missing something about this.

You only need to swap the motor on your current pump. Much more cost effective. You can use a B2980 or B2981 depending on 115v or 230v. The best part is you don't have to mess with any plumbing.

You only need to swap the motor on your current pump. Much more cost effective. You can use a B2980 or B2981 depending on 115v or 230v. The best part is you don't have to mess with any plumbing.

Ah, that makes sense. The current pump and motor are 8-9 years old. If I replace just the motor, how long should the pump last? It's a Pentair Whisperflo.

Pump housings should last a good long time. There is nothing to wear out. About the only thing that can happen is that they can develop a crack but usually due to an impact event. 8-9 years is not all that long and I would not hesitate to change just the motor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.