clogged skimmer line

Jun 26, 2013
Irmo, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We started having trouble with our pool and called a repair person. She said the pump wasn't priming at all and we needed to replace it. After she replaced it, she discovered that the skimmmer line was also clogged. She tried to unclog it (I think with a hose) and couldn't get it. She didn't have any muriatic acid, but gave me some instructions to use if I wanted to get some and try it myself so it wouldn't be another service call. Anyway, she said to pour the muriatic acid down a pipe she had attached to the suction line inside the skimmer area. She said to do this with the pump off and then turn it on and backwash. I did, and there is still a lot of air in the line, so the clog is still there. Before I get more muriatic acid, I thought I'd see if anybody has advice on here to unclog it.

You can try a shop vac set to suck water and try to seal the hose over the opening in the bottom of the skimmer and try to suck it back out.

Using a snake might be the best way. No clue why she would have suggested muratic acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.