New Build in NE Houston (Humble, TX)

corporate_zombie

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2014
Humble, TX
Well, we finally pulled the trigger...and signed the contract. Just waiting on HOA approvals, hopefully next week. We are on track to start the dig the week of April 13th. Super excited...and scared! Here are a couple of drawings from the PB, I'll take the before pictures this weekend...as we finally have some nice weather! We are also putting in the pergola. second freeform spa_002.jpg

Attachments

• first freeform spa_001.jpg
    first freeform spa_001.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 476
So giddy with my last post, then I realized I should have put in some particulars:

Pool size: 20' x 36'
100 ln ft. perimeter, area 534 sq. ft.
Depth: 3.5' to 6' (we are short...it will be over everyones' head!)
Spa: 5' x 8' Freestyle, Raised , 6 jets, 3" stacked stone, split level bench

Equipment:
Pentair 520 sq. ft. cartridge (based on recommendations on this forum, so thank you!! We were spec'd in for a 420 sq. ft.)
Pump, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160
Blower, 1 HP Silencer
Pentair heater, 400K BTU
Pentair racer cleaner
Pentair 320 Rainbow chlorinator (realize I don't "need" this, but the savings to take it off was very little, and I do plan on going on vacation sometimes!)
2 500w pool lights/1 100w spa light (decided against LEDs...for cost reasons...it was between this and the weeping walls...)
Dual Intermatic Timer with freeze guard (still debating the whole wireless thing...not sure on if we should add it on or not)
Pebble Sheen -- color not decided yet
6" standard tile -- not decided yet

1T weeping wall atdeck planters (there are 2 of them)
958 sq. ft of decking -- "pea gravel". We had to save money somewhere!!!
flagstone coping (a Texas favorite, from what I have gathered here on the site)

Extra: 10' x 14' Cedar pergola

I don't want to jinx myself...so I am not going to update my signature until we start digging :)

Great pool, Zombie. I'm looking at much of the same equipment... I was originally looking at the racer as we'll based on a PB suggestion. However, after reading much on here, I am now looking into robots. They aren't that much more and they don't require plumbing (which should help to make it a wash). Plus, they don't run off your pump, which saves a lot of electricity. My 2 cents... I liked the racer. Bit it just seems like robots are the better way to go.

Wahoo! We are right around the corner from you & hope to start around the same time. The waiting is the worst. Please post lots of pics!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, ok, your pool is bigger than mine, why do you feel it isn't big enough? Please share!!!

Well, I think because we are a little spoiled! Our previous two houses had existing pools, and I never realized they were larger than average. I thought they were normal-sized pools. So, that was the first factor. The second thing is that when I saw the outline on the ground, I was ok with the length, but the width in certain spots was too narrow. For example, the space between the tanning ledge and the edge of the spa, which is at the shallow end. When I talked to the PB, it wasn't that much more to push everything back a little (3 feet, I think) and widen out the shape on either side of the spa. Of course, then we ended up also going for a larger size pergola. That one wasn't my decision... I need them to start digging soon, so that we can't make anymore changes! We may end up having to add a little more deck too, but I won't worry about that now. Bottom line, I didn't want to look at the pool years from now and say, we really should have pushed the spa back.

- - - Updated - - -

And, all the equipment is in my garage, just waiting...I go out and visit it at least once per day :p

Beautiful pool, Zombie! Thanks for sharing how you've thought through everything. That helps me a lot. I love the planting beds behind the rock work - very graceful. I'm looking forward to watching your build progress. Keep us posted! Suz.

We started the dig on Monday, and we've made it all the way to gunite today! I need to get pictures posted, but with everything going on and trying to make up missed soccer games due to rain earlier in the month, it has been crazy at our house. We haven't had a moment to "reflect".

So far everythign has been good, aside from one small issue with the gunite having slight "crumbles" on the edges in 2-3 places. I'm trying not to be nervous, as I am at work and getting reports/pictures from home...The one thing that does make me feel a little better is that the gunite company is one of the best in the Houston area, per every pool builder we talked to (and it was a significant number). We are picking out our tile tonight, so I'll have a chance to talk to the builder directly about my concerns.

AND, I guess I'll update my signature now...as it is REALITY!!!

Well, who knew that everything would get so busy and I wouldn't get to post any pictures. So, here we go...better late than never. And, the pool is finished, btw!!

This is a before shot of the yard, looking at the house. The garage is where the pergola is going (well, where it actually is...)
IMG_0949.jpg

Ok, first picture came out sideways, I'll try to fix with the next picture! We started the pool on April 24th, and for those of you in Texas...you will remember that it was VERY rainy. Here is the mud pit that was my yard for the entire process. It. Was. Awful. No matter how hard I tried, mud was everywhere, all the time. mud.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.