Why is my ph always high?

Sep 11, 2013
Cocoa, fl
Is there something wrong with my chemical balance? All chemicals are in range but for some reason I am always having to add acid to lower my ph. I use almost a half gallon a week. Everything else stays fine. But like I said I'm averaging 1-2 cups a day of acid. Is this normal beacause of the swg?

Any in put would be appreciated

That is very normal and it happens faster in newer pools. Still, your makeup water probably has higher pH & total alkalinity (TA), so this plays a large role in pH rise.

Other factors like the SWG do contribute as well, but this is the basic reason. As the TA works down, the rise will slow, but you have to work on it to reduce the TA. There is an article in Pool School on how to do that. Having it lower in a salt pool is a prudent thing to do, largely for the reason you inquire about.

Is it a new pool or a replastered pool, both can rise ph for about a year or so. From what i read the SWG can slowly rise ph too. I'm in the same boat, with 1/2 gallon of acid every week but down from a gallon a week after pool pool was finished back in September. Also, are you using a good test kit to get your readings? I found test strips were okay at ph reading but a good test kit will pen it down better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.