Hi Dave!

There is one way, and only one way you get Algae. Improper/lack of free Chlorine. It is truly that simple.

You'll need to SLAM your pool now, and the link for how to do that is in my signature line. In your sig line, please add your pool info so that we can help you. Not knowing your pool size, no one can say how much Chlorine you need. That said, it would be good for you to spend some more time in Pool School. Start with the ABCs and work up from there. This is the most important thing you can do for the long haul and up front.

Your Cya has not had time to dissolve and disperse throughout the pool yet.

CYA can take up to a week to show up. So don't over do it by throwing more in unless it has been more than a week from last time.

Hi Dave!

There is one way, and only one way you get Algae. Improper/lack of free Chlorine. It is truly that simple.

You'll need to SLAM your pool now, and the link for how to do that is in my signature line. In your sig line, please add your pool info so that we can help you. Not knowing your pool size, no one can say how much Chlorine you need. That said, it would be good for you to spend some more time in Pool School. Start with the ABCs and work up from there. This is the most important thing you can do for the long haul and up front.

Your Cya has not had time to dissolve and disperse throughout the pool yet.

How do I add my pool info to my signature line? Thanks !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From using pool math, 15,700 and 84oz of stabilizer would put you at 40 so use 40 for your CYA presently and don't bother to retest for a week. If there's still stabilizer in that sock you can knead it and it will dissolve quicker. You want to wait until it's all dissolved from the sock and then a week to retest.

With algae you'll need to SLAM and you want to maintain the FC at 16 as best you can. Test and add often as letting it fall and bringing it back up doesn't work as well as maintaining it.
You need to use Pool Math at the top of every page to figure out the correct amount of chlorine to add. You need to know the strength of the chlorine you're adding.

If you were at zero FC you would have needed to add a little over 5gals of 6% to reach that 16ppm FC level you need to maintain.

Once you get the algae gone and have completed the SLAM you will need to hold a minimum of 3 and should try to maintain 5ppm FC if you keep the CYA at 40. Below 3ppm and you run the risk of the algae coming back.

When doing the SLAM remember to brush the pool often and scrub anything in the pool. Take the ladder out and scrub it. Check behind the skimmer door for "green".

Ok good, thanks Patrick. But I'm still not sure how much chlorine I need to add now. I did add 2 gallons of bleach. Is that enough given my numbers?

No, go ahead with two more, and test tonight. It's a little bit much, but it will be down before long if you are pretty green. Make sure you get another test and addition made before bed if you need it. If this was my pool, this is exactly what I would do.

Yes I've tried Pool Math. Didn't see these last few posts yesterday so I only put the two gallons of bleach in and the stabilizer is in process in the skimmer so the CYA will come up over the next week.. Since the CYA is near zero I think the 2 gallons was enough yesterday. Will test again this morning. Pool Math is telling me to add 71oz of Borax and 198 oz of calcium chloride. Had rain yesterday and cold front came through last night. 49 degrees now so pool water temp has dropped some. Water is still pretty clear. There is not alot of algae so maybe I'm getting it early.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.