Electrical supply

I am having a pool installed and and want to be completely prepared when the assembly is complete. I need to know what electrical supply i need? It is a 18x36 with a 3/4 hp pump, salt water generator, sand filter, gas heater, aux receptical and 2 12v lights. What i want to know is what amp service do i need to run outside. Can i put the GFCI outside or does it have to be in? Should any or all these things be on there own breakers? Can I get away with 8/3 wire from my main panel which is 60ft away? Should i upgrade to a 1 hp pump?
Any help would be great
Thanks

snipley said:
I am having a pool installed and and want to be completely prepared when the assembly is complete. I need to know what electrical supply i need? It is a 18x36 with a 3/4 hp pump, salt water generator, sand filter, gas heater, aux receptical and 2 12v lights. What i want to know is what amp service do i need to run outside. Can i put the GFCI outside or does it have to be in? Should any or all these things be on there own breakers? Can I get away with 8/3 wire from my main panel which is 60ft away? Should i upgrade to a 1 hp pump?
Any help would be great
Thanks

Since I am spending your money............18X36 I'm taking as an IG

8/3 wire would be great. In rocky soil, I would put the wire in plastic pipe or conduit. I would run GFI from my main panel to a 4 breaker aux. box. Then split to 115/230. Remember "waterproof". One or two breaker slots for the pump (115/230). From aux. box to timer to on/off switch to pump. One aux. box breaker to SWG and heater. One aux. box breaker to outside receptical and to a on/off switch that operates a light that shines on the filter (so you can read pressure and backwash) and pump; and to a switch to operate 12v lights.

First think safety and waterproof. The breakers in the aux. box should be (must be) GFI also.

You could go 50 amp in the main breaker box and 30 amp to the pump (remember wire size) and 15/20 amp to the SWG/heater and 15/20 amp to the lights; all breakers GFI.

Since this is a new pool, I would seriously look at a 2 speed, or a variable speed pump. They will cost more initially, but pay for themselves in energy savings.

There is some info in the pool school about pump sizing, which depends on how big your pool is, in volume.

Randy

Thanks hotrod.
Can i run the pump and heater to the timer together, because i don't want the heater on when the pump is off? Can the SWG stay on if the pump is off? If i have a gfci in the house why outside also? That gets very expensive with 220v gfci's. Does the bonding wire need to be in conduit to the pool?
I'm sure i have forgotten something.
You guys are great.
Thanks

snipley said:
Thanks hotrod.
Can i run the pump and heater to the timer together, because i don't want the heater on when the pump is off? Can the SWG stay on if the pump is off? If i have a gfci in the house why outside also? That gets very expensive with 220v gfci's. Does the bonding wire need to be in conduit to the pool?
I'm sure i have forgotten something.
You guys are great.
Thanks

The pump and the heater must be running together. I don't believe you can run a SWG without the pump running.(I don't have a SWG, not sure) Anyone??????? Maybe they just tap 115v off the timer.

I don't have a heater, so someone else should speak up here. I thought there was a flow switch that wouldn't let the heater go on if there is no flow. The power to the gas heater should only power the sparker and the controls. My opinion, get a GFI for your main breaker box. It protects the underground line and up to and including the aux. box. It's you, your family and friends swimming in that pool. Also, I don't think it would be up to code without one.

Most SWGs will shut down when they detect a lack of flow, but it is better if you also power the SWG on the pump circuit from after the timer so you have a double check to be sure that the cell goes off when the pump goes off.

A single speed 3/4 HP pump might cost say $350, a two speed pump might cost $500, and a variable speed pump around $1000. The more expensive pumps will pay you back in electrical savings. How quickly they pay back depends on your electrical rates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.