What type of pump should I get

rexxh

Mar 27, 2015
Las Vegas
Hi all,

I've read this forum for some help on other issues so I'd like the input on this on.

I currently have an old Emerson 1081 pump, 2HP pump. Not sure how old it is but it's at least from 2007 and most likely earlier. I've been looking into getting something that is more energy efficient but am torn on what to get. I was considering a variable speed pump when I came across people talking about 2 speed pumps having a somewhat similar outcome at a lower price. My question is, should I go for the variable speed, since NV Power is currently giving a $250 rebate or just go for the 2 speed? I figure both should give me a good amount of savings over what I currently have but not sure which is better. Power rates here are $.124/kWh.

Thanks for any input

P.S.I am unsure of how long the rebate will last and I'm not quite ready at this moment to pull the trigger on replacing the pump.
P.P.S
I'd like to install this myself. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and saw a video that didn't look too difficult. Should I attempt this or break don and pay someone to do it?

Hi and welcome to TFP.

Choosing the right pump is dependent upon a few factors. Such as size of your pool, do you have any water features or not, is the pump location higher than the water level or not. If so, how much.

If you could fill in your signature, and provide some info about your pool, it would help us help you.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

At your electrical rates, a two speed is almost certain to have a lower total lifetime cost compared to a variable speed.

If you have a spa or large water feature you will probably want to stick with a 2 HP but switch to two speed. If you just have a pool and nothing else, switching to a 1 HP two speed has several advantages.

If the main pump runs the spa jets, you will want a 2 HP two speed of about the same SFHP (Service Factor times Horse Power) as your current pump. That will keep the strength of the spa jets about the same.

If it's model EUST1202 it should be a service factor of 1.0
That model number and SF rating should be on the motors label.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.