Partial Drain through through filter via skimmer and bottom drain connection

Mar 26, 2015
Sac-town CA
My CYA is >100. I don't even make it within 1/2" of the mark on my Taylor test kit before the black dot has disappeared. I opened the pool 2 weeks ago to a green mess, I couldn't see the deep end. I shocked it with Shockwave 73%, 4 lb worth of it over 2 days. The pool was ready to swim in a week later. I tested the water and verified the CYA test with the local pool store.

I would like to drain it, but can't figure out how. I can get the water to pump out of the bottom of the filter without a problem, there's a hose bib attached there. Once the water is below the skimmer I start blowing bubbles and lose flow. At the bottom of the skimmer is the connection from the drain. There is a simple valve which covers the two ports so water only moves between the pipes and not from the skimmer. The pump pulls water at varying rates, sometimes coming to a stop. How do I drain the water without fear of hurting my pump?

Please see the attached pictures of my equipment. There's no discharge to bypass the filter or heater I have to pull the water from the filter drain.
2015-03-027.jpg

That kind of diverter valve in the skimmer almost never forms a really good seal. Even a small air leak will cause the pump to lose prime.

There are a couple of solutions. The simplest is to fill the pool at the same time you are draining it. This approach takes less total time, though it does use a bit more total water. Another approach that sometimes work is to use a cover pump or sump pump to pump water into the skimmer so that there is always some water to leak in, instead of air.

Nice, thanks! It's some sort of consolation that there isn't a better way to do it, as is.

Assuming I can keep the prime at the pump, would it be wrong to add a "T" between the pump discharge and the filter? I could add a valve that would help regulate the flow out, thus reducing the the pump sucking air. Keep the volume the same going in as out.... no slow downs to sucking air.

The second method that Jason posted is what I did when I drained 14,000 gallons last summer after we moved in (I had high CYA too). Like he said, the diverter does not form a perfect seal once it shuts, so whatever is left slowly consumed by the pump. What we did was keep an eye on the water level in the skimmer, and scooped a bucket of water from the pool to keep plenty of water in the skimmer as needed. This way the pump did not suck any air.

Do you have a pressure side cleaner line (for a Polaris cleaner)? If you do, you can increase your drain rate and shorten the drain time. We have one and I rigged up our vacuum hose to an extra pressure side fitting I had handy, and ran the other end of the hose to a cleanout fitting on the side of our house. Drained 14,000 gallons in about 5 hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.