Hayward H250FDP Heater intermittent problem

Mar 26, 2015
Decatur, TX
I have a two year old Hayward H250FDP heater for my spa that has recently developed a minor problem (for now anyway).
After draining and refilling the spa, the heater will light and stay lit for about 60 seconds. It then stops heating for about 30 seconds before it relights.
It goes through this cycle about a half dozen times before it stays lit until it reaches the desired temperature.

Does this sound like the flame sensor is getting ready to go kaput?

Or something else?

Do you have any codes on the heater during this time. The heater tries to light three times before a failure code is shown on the screen. This could be low gas, low flow, etc.

There are no codes on the heater. The heater lights without any problems. It just shuts off after about a minute or so. Thirty seconds later the heater lights again.
It goes thru this cycle about a half dozen times before the heater stays on until it reaches the desired temp.

What size is the propane tank? How much propane is in it now? Have there been any changes to the propane system? Try watching the temperature reading on the heater as it heats.

Are you sure that there is adequate flow?

Usually a good light sanding will cure the problem. This is actually a yearly routine maintaince. I am in the HVAC industry with several thousand maintaince contracts per year. Around 70% have flame sensors and need lightly sanded n a yearly basis.

Hey did you even try to straighten out the old one and see if it would work? I wonder how that happened to it.

I didn't think of that before throwing it away.

- - - Updated - - -

Usually a good light sanding will cure the problem. This is actually a yearly routine maintaince. I am in the HVAC industry with several thousand maintaince contracts per year. Around 70% have flame sensors and need lightly sanded n a yearly basis.

I will keep that in mind for next year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.