Cantilever coping on filled vinyl pool

Aug 4, 2014
Allen, TX
Last summer I finished installation of the pool, but did not get to pouring of the deck. This spring I am planning on doing that. I plan on draining about a foot of the pool and pulling the liner out of the track so that I can attach stegmeier forms around the pool. I would just use duct tape to secure liner to the walls while work is in progress so that no dirt gets behind the liner. Do you think this is ok, or are there any issues with this approach? Pool is 4 ft deep, with no deep end.

Re: Pulling the liner out of the track temporarily

Other option is to put the forms on the liner. Since that glue is so sticky and strong, they suggest some special tape they have that is placed on the liner, and then forms are glued to it. This is so that forms can be later be safely removed from the liner. I would have to use in both cases wire ties to secure everything.

What if I after I finish, I drain pull to 1 feet depth, would that make putting liner into track easier? I would rather pay to refill the pool, than to have forms not be secure enough.

Draining more doesn't really help. The only way to really change the situation would be to completely remove the liner, and then reset it afterwards, which is only a good idea if the liner is less than one year old.

I dont think pulling the liner out of the track is a good idea, so many things could go wrong and you may never get it back in. It is not as easy as it may seem to get it back in there.

That special tape they talk about is called Stucco tape. It is bright red in color. I used it to cover my liner coping while pouring my deck. You can get it at lowes and HD. It doesnt leave any sticky residue when its removed. Duct Tape would probably leave residue all over the place.

Before you go taping your liner though, put some tape on a scrap piece of liner and sit it outside a couple days, and then remove the tape to see wheter or not it pulls the liner dye off with it.

If you deem the tape ok, then I would say drop the water a couple of feet stucco tape a 2 ft wide piece of plastic drop cloth all the way around the pool to protect the liner, if thats what you want to do.

My experience though, is that I wouldnt worry too much about it. I got concrete on my liner while pouring the deck there were drips and runs everywhere! It worried me bad, but it just washed right off by rubbing it with my bare hand. No stains either. I guess concrete doesnt stick to vinyl. Probably had close to 2 gallons of concrete in the bottom of my pool. But I just vacuumed it to waste and filtered a few days and it was just fine.

Other option is to put the forms on the liner. Since that glue is so sticky and strong, they suggest some special tape they have that is placed on the liner, and then forms are glued to it. This is so that forms can be later be safely removed from the liner. I would have to use in both cases wire ties to secure everything.

My concern was not about not getting it dirty, but I wanted to have more solid base for the forms then vinyl. Granted that forms will be secured via wire ties but still. Not sure if it is a good idea to go with poured coping. Maybe it would be easier, and less risky if I go with travertine coping. I'll start another thread on this subject though.

Has anybody done this? I have a pool that already has water in. I don't have a stegmeir liner track, and since the pool has liner in it I have to use forms that are for fiberglass pool. That means that I will have to put a "laser tape" on vinyl and then place forms on that tape. I addition to that, tie wire will have to be used to secure the forms. My concern with this is the fact that vinyl is not sturdy base to be placing the forms on it, even though tie wires will be used to secure them. Based on the suggestions in another forum, I should not drain the pool or take liner out of track, as I might not be able to put everything back together. So what am I to do? Just forget about poured coping and go for regular travertine coping. That would take longer, but looks like risk for messing something up is lower.

I decided to not mess with cantilever coping, but rather do 12" travertine coping around. I would pour a 6" deep footing around the pool, rebar reinforced. I am not sure if I need to leave a gap between the top of the pool and the coping and how much. Pool wall is 2" thick, with plastic liner track that attaches on the top. So Should I pour footing (beam) up to the top of the liner track, so that by the time I put coping mortar there would be about 1/2" gap between top of pool wall and the coping tile, to allow for pool movement?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.