Crack in PVC Elbow Partially in Gunite - Suggestions for Repair?

joelq

Mar 29, 2007
Hi all -

After about a day's worth of digging, I finally found the source of a plumbing leak I've been suspecting for about a month. Check out the attached pics.

This 3/4" pipe goes to our weeping wall, one of two that feed the water feature. The problem is, the crack is in a 90* elbow that goes right into the gunite after which the pipe then goes vertical. Any suggestions on how I can repair this properly?

- worst case, I figured I could just cap the pipe and just feed the water feature with just the other pipe and have a somewhat lop-sided water feature :)
- is there a PVC glue I can use to close the gap in the crack? The problem is, I don't know how far around the elbow the crack goes. I guess I could chisel some of the gunite below the elbow to find out.

I'm open to suggestions! Right now, capping it is tops on my list. :)

Thanks, all!

Attachments

• WP_20150325_15_44_54_Pro-small.jpg
    WP_20150325_15_44_54_Pro-small.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 175
  • WP_20150325_15_50_46_Pro-small.jpg
    WP_20150325_15_50_46_Pro-small.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 175
To repair that properly, I think you would have to chip out the concrete around the pipe.

Clearly they did not adequately support under the pipe before they buried it.

PVC Glue isn't going to fix that one unfortunately. I wish I could tell you it could, but I wouldn't try it on my piping.

Best otpion here is the bad one. If you want it to stay, you'll have to chisel out and replace to do it well.

Thanks, Jason and Patrick. Ugh - I was afraid of that. I guess I can try chiseling and see just how slow it goes (exactly how hard is gunite, anyway :)), then worst case I'll just cut and cap the pipe.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I'm not sure I follow completely, but I'm encouraged and excited! :)

Dave - I've attached a couple more pics I took from when the pool was being built. One of the pictures is of the completed weeping wall. The two pipes that feed the water feature terminate in the space right under the stone coping.

The two other pictures show the plumbing just prior to and after gunite (the offending vertical pipe is the one on the right) so you can see where it comes out.

So what do we think?

Attachments

• IMG_0986-cropped.JPG
    IMG_0986-cropped.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0962-cropped.JPG
    IMG_0962-cropped.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0897-cropped.JPG
    IMG_0897-cropped.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 142
What we are saying is come back from the elbow a few/several inches, make a cut. Then, lift and break off the section connected to the elbow. It should be easy, being its cracked most of the way round the elbow now. On the end coming from the pump, you install a fitting you can reduce down to a female threaded fitting. Into that you can screw in a tubing fitting that will allow you to connect, and run a smaller diameter piece of tubing up the broken pipe. After the tube is run up, and in place, you could pack the old pipe with silicone sealer or something to make a seal. Since its low flow, and open ended, some variation on this could work.

Perhaps some details to work out but this is my rough idea on my first cup of coffee this morning. :jocolor:

PS

May I assume correctly you've contacted your PB about this, and he's no help? This is clearly a faulty install and entirely their fault. That elbow broke under stress from the ground settling on the pipe run with this installation. Some PBs have a warranty period, but that may be a moot point. I'm simply curious about it.

I know that I'm late to the party, but I think I'd try chipping out around the elbow and up the piping a little ways and replace the piping and fittings.

If you have a air compressor, I'd go to Harbor Freight, etc. and buy a cheap air impact hammer and a set of chisels to chip it out with. You can be pretty gentle with one of those.

Once I got it chipped out I might even consider repairing it with a piece of heater hose, double clamped. You'd be surprised how long that would last and that would remove the chance of it breaking again because of ground movement.

P.S. Not the Dave mentioned above. :)

I would agree to chipping it out but getting enough concrete removed from the back of the joint above the elbow is likely easier said than done. Give it a try but be prepared to push a tube up through it if the chipping doesn't work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.