Question on new Pentair Clean & Clear RP Filter

jayjayaz

Oct 25, 2012
Southern CA
Please advise on understanding guidance in manual for new Pentair Clean & Clear RP Filter. It says note; "When the cartridge is element is used on new pools and after cleaning the elements, introduce into the system .5 pounds of diatomaceous earth per over 100 square feet of pool area. Mix it with water and pour it into the skimmer after pump is running to enhance filtration.

My pool isn't new, but the filter and cartridge are, do I add the DE under my circumstances?

Thanks in advance!

That is written pretty strangely.

I think adding DE is optional (although not usually recommended in cartridge filters), just like for use in sand filters. What is weird is the amount added should be a function of the sqft of the filter, not the pool, IMO.

EDIT: I just pulled up the Pentair manual for the C&C RP filter and see no mention of DE in it.

EDIT 2: Found it in the manual. It says add 1/2 pound of DE per 100 sqft of filter area to enhanced filtration.

Re: Question on new Pentair Clean & Clear RP Filter

Sorry, you're correct, I poorly copied the guidance it says:

"When the cartridge element is used on new pools and after cleaning the elements, introduce into the system .5 pounds of diatomaceous earth per over every 100 square feet of filter area. Mix it with water and pour it into the skimmer after pump is running to enhance filtration.

Thank you

That is written pretty strangely.

I think adding DE is optional (although not usually recommended in cartridge filters), just like for use in sand filters. What is weird is the amount added should be a function of the sqft of the filter, not the pool, IMO.

EDIT: I just pulled up the Pentair manual for the C&C RP filter and see no mention of DE in it.

EDIT 2: Found it in the manual. It says add 1/2 pound of DE per 100 sqft of filter area to enhanced filtration.

- - - Updated - - -

I was too slow and didn't see your outstanding edits; so I guess my question is does this guidance apply to my situation and is it recommended?

Thanks!

Is the water not clean enough for you?
Seems pretty optional to me. You can if you want.

BTW, realize we recommend cleaning the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over your clean pressure (prior to DE), not the 8-10psi the manual mentions.

It is definitely optional and not required. Only as an enhancement if you are not happy with how clean your pool is. My opinion it is definitely not worth the trouble to add. Or what it would likely add to the effort required to clean the cartridges and increase to the frequency of cleaning if it clogs up faster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.