Issues already grrr

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
I bought a foreclosure last summer not knowing the pool history over the winter I had my sand filter cleaned and they replaced the sand as part of the deal and they found a broken lateral. I had them fix that as well.

Yesterday, I opened my pool and had them change everything in the multi port valve, springs, gasket, handle and anything else they felt that needed replacing.

The pool was clear as can be but had a lot of worms and some organic matter at the bottom. As soon as they turned on the pump it became pretty cloudy.

I had to backwash twice yesterday and twice today. After the second backwash I noticed water coming out of the backwash pipe when the pump was running in filter mode. It is not gushing like when I backwash or rinse but a pretty steady flow.

I turned everything off and will call them in the morning but what could have happened? I always turn the pump off before adjusting the handle and turn clockwise.

That much backwashing sounds like something going on with the water. Can you post a set of test results?

Sounds like they didn't rinse the sand after they changed it.
Also sounds like they didn't reassemble or secure the spider gasket properly when they repaired the multiport.

Calling them back is the correct thing to do because the multiport shouldn't be leaking to waste when in filter mode at all.

I am going to call them this morning. They did the sand in January and the outside water was shut off.

I ran tests an hour after I opened and here are the results.

3/23
Water temp 48

FC 2
CC 0
TC 2
CH 75
TA 80
PH 7.5
CYA 40
I added bleach and brought it up to 8 because of all the worms and leaves.

I tested yesterday after work and water temp was 50 CL was at 6 and ph was 7.5

I was going to run a full set again this morning but now I will have to wait.

I just checked and I am losing water through the pipe even with the pump off.

I've seen the waste port plugged lots of times and while there's a possibility that it's recycling some water it at least gives you the ability to run the pump to keep the circulation going, because it may be several days before the tech can get out there. At least you can keep the pool from going green while you're waiting. And since you're losing water even with the pump off it'll stop that from happening.

They came today to fix it.

Obviously they didn't listen to me:( I told them not knowing the history I wanted everything replaced with a specific list. The list was made from everything I learned on here. Multi port valve completely checked, spider gasket, springs and anything else that can break I wanted replaced as normal maintience. Ok easy peasy...nope they didn't replace the spring and it was worn out.

I was supposed to go out of town yesterday and blew it off until today but I could only hold my family off for so long hoping they would come this morning. I had to leave and they came later, they called me and told me it was done and they left the pump off. It has been off since Tuesday night and we won't be home until Saturday. Thankfully it has cooled back down and I have the pool cleaned up really well so I don't think it should be too much of an issue. The water temp was 53 when we left this morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So they fixed it on Thursday. I had to backwash tonight because I have been working on cleaning up the pool and they same thing happened. When I put it on filter water started coming out of the waste pipe and I am losing water with the pump off.

They replaced the spring on Thursday and I assume that broke agin. What could be happening? Ever since they tore it apart last Monday I have broken two springs. I never had an issue until they worked on this multi port.

They just charged me a 129.00 service fee plus parts on Thursday and now I have to pay it again. This is crazy.

I can't imagine two new springs breaking in a multiport valve. It sounds to me that the spider gasket is leaking.

When you press the handle down on the valve, does the resistance feel right?
When you press and rotate the handle, does it rotate smoothly?

If it leaked as soon as they left you shouldn't have to pay for them to fix it.

I can't imagine two new springs breaking in a multiport valve. It sounds to me that the spider gasket is leaking.

When you press the handle down on the valve, does the resistance feel right?
When you press and rotate the handle, does it rotate smoothly?

If it leaked as soon as they left you shouldn't have to pay for them to fix it.

I called them this morning. I told them I didn't have any issues until the worked on my pool. They said they will call me back. I am frustrated with the stupid service charge and the fact I was proactive and had everything looked at and replaced. I was trying to avoid these issues.

I honestly don't know how it is supposed to feel. They told me the old gasket should have been replaced years ago. It came out in pieces. The handle felt tighter since they replaced everything. I am fairly confident in using my equipment. I bought a foreclosure so I am self taught from this sight and what the pool guy tells me.

I turned the pump off, switched clockwise to backwash then rinse then back to filter and when I turn on the pump the sound is different and water is coming out the discharge pipe. When the pump is off I still lose water until I hit the bottom of the skimmer. There is no leaking anywhere on the multiport. Thursday when they came they said the spring broke and now I am assuming it is broke again.

They were supposed to come today but he never showed. Probably tomorrow when I am at work!

I told them I am not paying anything for another service call.

I am not familiar with the mechanical side of things and have to go with what they tell me but I asked them if it could be related to the spider gasket and they said they would check everything. I am 100% sure I did nothing wrong either time to cause this. I use the same process every time and never had any problems in the past.

Well they came today while I was at work. I now have a new multiport and am $164.00 poorer! They didn't give me any credit for parts purchased like they said nor did they give me the multiport like they said on the phone this morning. I guess having my debit card on file allows them free reign to charge my account. So far I am out $325.00 for something that was working prior to them doing maintience work. Plus I am paying full price for water since I haven't turned my irrigation on yet. Today it took almost four hours to refill. The water was below my skimmer. Last week the water was to the bottom of the skimmer. When I had to refill from the first time the valve broke.

Needless to say I called and talked to the service manager. He was going to get with my PB and go from there. I still have a few things I ordered to be replaced and if they don't give me satisfaction I will be going elsewhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.