Question about Service Factor

Hi folks,

Hayward Super II pump motor just gave out and warranty company replaced it.

The one that died was an AO Smith UST1202 / 2HP with SF 1.1 = 2.2HP, right?
The one the warranty company provided is a US Motors (Emerson) EUST1202 / 2.0HP with SF 1.0 = 2.0HP, right?

First question, is difference between old one and new one an issue? (2.2HP versus 2.0HP)

Second question
On the new one, the label provides the following info:
HP 2.0
SF 1.00
VOLTS 230/115
SF AMPS 8.4/16.8
1.10 SF: 9.7/19.4 AMPS

It's that last part that confuses me...
the old motor listed MAX LOAD AMPS = 19.6/10.4-9.8 (115v/208v-230v)

If I understand the label on the new motor...
the motor draws 8.4 amps at 230 volts with hp2.0 x sf1.00 = 2hp (less amps than the old motor = better, right?)

but then the last bit on the new motor label (1.10 SF: 9.7/19.4 AMPS) seems to be saying
the new motor draws 9.7 amps at 230 volts with hp2.0 x sf1.10 = 2.2hp??? (about the same as the old motor??)

to add to my confusion, various vendors on the web list this new pump as having an SF = 1.00-1.25???

Is the Service Factor a variable value?

My biggest concern is that the new motor is a proper replacement for the previous motor. Seems to me the old motor was 2.2hp and the new one is only 2.0hp, but then the new motor seems to list two different Service Factors? The new motor feels really hot when it is running, but that's probably all in my head. Can't say for sure how hot the old motor felt. Also, the new motor is giving off an odd smell right now, probably because it is new, but another thing making me wonder if there is a problem.

Any help clearing up my confusion would be greatly appreciated and thanks for suffering through this mess of a post.
Motor labels included below.

thanks in advance!
rjb

Attachments

• oldMotor.JPG
    oldMotor.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 67
  • newMotor.JPG
    newMotor.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 67
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You understand the the SF correct. The power of the motor is the product of the HP and the SF.

You are right that if it is a 2.0 SFHP compared to your old 2.2 SFHP, the new pump may be undersized for your impeller and thus will have to work harder and could be hot and not last long.

As to why there are 2 labels on the new motor with conflicting information ... that I too do not understand. Hopefully someone else will have an idea.

The label numbers mean that the motor is marketed as a 2.0 sfhp, but it can run as a 2.2 sfhp under max load. Given that, it's and exact replacement for the motor you had.

Motors tend to run hotter than people think. Can you hold your hand on it for longer than 8 seconds? If so it's not very hot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.